Intel 320 Compatibility?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dhtmlkitchen, Nov 24, 2013.

1. dhtmlkitchen macrumors newbie

I have an Intel 320 SSD in an older, broken MBP.

I want to buy a new MBP and put the older SSD in it.

Which macbook pro models will it work with?

What must I do to put this SSD into my new mac? Can I keep everything on that SSD or must I make a backup?

2. Cmd-the-World macrumors regular

In order to be able to use the SSD inside a new MBP you would need to buy the Non-retina version. So basically you need to buy last years non retina models (cMBP). The 2013 rMBP use a PCI-e based SSD instead of SATA connected drive. Apart from that all the rMBP use a custom designed SSD so your Intel 320 wouldn't be able to fit.

3. dhtmlkitchen thread starter macrumors newbie

So it will work in any non-retina MBP? For example, a 15" 2011 MBP with an i7 processor?

4. undesign macrumors regular

There's no space in the Retina macbooks to fit a 2.5" SSD Drive:

[​IMG]

I've got a 2011 15" MacBook Pro with the Intel 320 SSD drive. That, the late 2011 MBP and the 2012 non retina MacBook Pros are the LAST MacBooks that will allow you to put the SSD drive inside.

This won't be a huge problem once the PCIE SSD drives can go beyond 2TB in storage space, seeing how the largest size you can get right now is that much on non rMBPs (replacing ODD with another HDD, so two 1TB HDDs). It'll be a while before it happens. Until then, I'm *NOT* upgrading to the rMBP. Certain parts should be swappable at will by the end user... like RAM.