Intel 320 SSD and Trim

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by csjo00, Aug 7, 2011.

1. csjo00 macrumors regular

I know this has been asked a million and a half times, but all my searches have come up inconclusive because no one is specifying whether or not they encrypt their drive.

I'm running Lion on my MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2010. Here next week I'm going to buy a Intel 320 160GB SSD. And I'm not sure about Trim.

Should I enable it? Should I not? I'm using FileVault in Lion to encrypt my drive.

Will the Trim Hack and FileVault encryption have problems?

My last question is and I know it's been asked a bunch of times also... How can I transfer all my data to my new SSD? I don't have an external enclosure or Time Machine drive. (I know I'm a bad person for not backing up my data, but that's what the HDD in right now is going to be for ^.^)

Any and all information is helpful.

Thanks. :)

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

DON"T do it. Not until Intel at least provides an updated firmware for the power loss bug. I have two 320s and a x-25m G2 in play, and have had two x25-m G1s. IMO lack of trim really isn't that big of a deal, and I've even encrypted them with only performance hit.

So do so at your own risk.

3. oButto macrumors member

I have an Intel 320 and it's working fine with TRIM enabled.

4. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I have an Intel 320 Sata II and an Intel 510 Sata III both running TRIM with NO encryption.

No problems so far.

For the poster about the 320 and power loss bug...what in the world does that have to do with TRIM?