Intel 330 SSD for 2010 Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calibrationx, May 29, 2012.

1. calibrationx macrumors member

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There has been a smattering of reports on the forums about Sandforce based drives having some compatibility issues, but it is certainly not anywhere near an epidemic. I guess the only way to really find out is to pop the sucker in there and see if it works. That is a fairly new drive and I have not noticed Mac user reports either way yet.

Sandforce drives have fairly aggressive garbage collection built in and most agree this largely negates the need for TRIM.

If you want to hack OS X to enable TRIM you can use the app from the first post in this thread.

3. captndave macrumors newbie

330 and trim

looking for more info on the comment about sandforce ( including I think the intel 330) not needing trim.

4. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

See here.

OWC SSD's apparently do not need TRIM because of their aggressive garbage collection. I can't really comment on the Intel drive sorry, although I do remember reading that the Intel SSD's were compatible (and ran better) with the TRIM enabler utility.

5. captndave macrumors newbie

thanks for the link. yes it is a bit confusing, is it the sandforce controller that allows owc to rely on the ssd's own garbag collection, or something ( firmware??) from owc, I'm over my head. I'll just use it until I can find an answer.

6. captndave, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  7. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

You should always use TRIM if you can (unless, perhaps, you have an old buggy SSD that doesn't support it correctly).

It's true that modern drives don't require it, but it still helps performance to use it. TRIM can do significantly better than garbage collection and prevents performance degradation over time.

8. captndave macrumors newbie

thank you, I was on the fence, confused, but from all I've read that seems to be sound advice...there was a discussion where sandforce was describing the difference between their garbage collection and trim...i may be able to find it again..