Intel 520 with Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexclayton, Dec 5, 2012.

1. alexclayton macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Planning to buy a new classic Macbook Pro 13" inch, basic configuration but install an Intel 520 myself. There are quite a few threads on the Intel community forums with compatibility problems and I was just wondering if there was anyone here who has had the same setup and experienced problems and if so, how can I fix the problems? Is it worth going through the solution process or should I just avoid the whole Intel SSD idea?

Thanks

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

I installed an Intel 335 SSD in a late 2011 MBP, no problems at all so far.
    I used ChameleonSSDOptimizer to install Trim and noatime.
    I also used the terminal command to disable hibernation:
    sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

I don't know that these measures will work with the 520, but I suspect they should. What issues are you talking about?

3. alexclayton thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'd read about a few beachball-like freezes, I'd like a really reliable SSD. I've read a few more threads here on macrumors and it actually seems like people are recommending the Intel SSD's for reliability.

Thanks

4. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

I installed one earlier this year (see my sig.) I have had no problems, everything works great.

5. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Some people have problems using the Intel 520 on a SATA2 connection. I have a SATA3 connection and no issues.

6. eventproducent macrumors newbie

Install intel 520

How to clean install the new intel 520 on a mbp early 2011?
    It doesn't reconize the disk on startup with netboot. What am i doeing wrong?

7. newdeal macrumors 68020

I have an x25m and it works flawlessly on my early 2011 macbook pro. I am not sure if the 520 has anything in common with the x25m though

8. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

If you haven't yet committed to a make and model of SSD, then why not just go for one that is known to work well with the MBP? Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 come to mind, if not more recent versions of those.

9. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

I am not familiar with the netboot process and cannot speak to any issue you might be having in that regard. I do know that a few people on the web were having issues with the Intel 520 not being seen on the SATA cable at boot time. Some PC builders (Lenovo and HP) are issuing their own firmware updates to deal with such problems. It does not seem to be widespread as Intel has not responded with a firmware update of its own. As I said, I have not had any issues with my drive, but next time I am going with Samsung.