intel 80GB SSD only 52GB free?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karkid, Feb 6, 2011.

1. karkid macrumors member

Hey guys so i just got a intel 80SSD for my macbook pro, and have installed firefox,vlc, and microsoft office and i only have 52gb free does that sound normal?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yeah thats normal; and i'll bet cash money that you're running the default OS X installation which has junk you'll need to remove as well. I'd uninstall/deactivate/remove all the apps you currently have, backup your user space and reinstall OS X making sure that you remove printer drivers and extra languages. You should be able to get the base OS X image down to 8 Gb if you remove the "Alex" voice.

4. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

also search here on disabling safe sleep and you can recover the space of your RAM back too. remember to disable sudden motion sensor as well. i just put an intel 80gb in my mbp and it sure flies.

5. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

remember until prices go down, when using SSDs its going to be key to have a large external hard drive to hold all your information

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That sounds about right.

7. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

8. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

do a clean install. if not, do a dual hd, ssd in original hd spot and regular hd in optic bay :D