Intel announces dual core IB processors

GubbyMan

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2011
Except for the CPU-freq and L3-cache, does anyone know if there are any other difference between the i5 and i7 models? :confused:

I don't know that much about Intels processors, just want to know if there are any difference or if Intel is just using the i7 name for the higher end CPU:s.

Comment

MR.BUTTON

macrumors member
Except for the CPU-freq and L3-cache, does anyone know if there are any other difference between the i5 and i7 models? :confused:

I don't know that much about Intels processors, just want to know if there are any difference or if Intel is just using the i7 name for the higher end CPU:s.
i7 is clocked at a higher frequency.anyway,It is just a method of grading levels.:D

Comment

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
Anandtech have posted their preview/review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5872/intel-dual-core-ivy-bridge-launch-and-ultrabook-review

Edit: On the HD4000

Back on topic, ULV IVB basically isn’t going to cut it for medium detail gaming (our “Value” preset) in most titles. However, it’s a significant step up from ULV SNB if you look at the charts. We don’t have scores for the Dell XPS 13 in BF3 or TWS2, but in the other five titles the IVB upgrade is anywhere from 10% (DiRT 3) to over 40% (Civ5) faster, with most titles in the 20-35% range.
On battery life
In terms of pure battery life, the Ivy Bridge prototype is good for nearly six hours of movie playback, close to eight hours of Internet surfing, and over 8.5 hours of idle time. It comes close to the top of our charts, though we could point out that the similar ASUS UX31E Sandy Bridge Ultrabook bests it in every category. Then again, ASUS has done very well in battery life comparisons for most of their laptops. Compared to the Acer S3, the IVB Ultrabook comes out ahead in Internet and behind in the other two disciplines; it does better against the Toshiba Portege Z830, Dell XPS 13, HP Folio 13, and matches or exceeds the Acer M3. Overall, given the improved performance, battery life looks to be similar or slightly better than Sandy Bridge Ultrabooks, which is quite acceptable.
All indications right now are that Ivy Bridge is far more important for Intel’s laptop division than for their desktops. Yes, we'll eventually get dual-core Ivy Bridge on the desktop as well, but many of those chips will be saddled by less than impressive HD 2500 graphics, which Anand discusses in his i5-3470 review. So why would Intel put all that die space and energy into their IGP if they’re just going to disable half of it on most desktops? Because on desktops, integrated graphics performance isn’t particularly important; you can always add a discrete GPU (unless you’ve got a really small/proprietary system). On laptops, a large percentage ship without any sort of dedicated GPU, and it’s often a bottleneck for home users.

So just what does Ivy Bridge bring to the party that you couldn’t get with Sandy Bridge Ultrabooks? In a word: more. More CPU performance—the i5-3427U we tested today is typically close to i5-2410M performance, and often 20% faster—or more—compared to Sandy Bridge Core i7 Ultrabooks. More GPU performance: HD 4000 in IVB ULV is generally faster than HD 3000 in SNB standard voltage CPUs. And you get all that with similar or slightly better battery life. You also get less: far less bulk and weight to carry around. We’re basically looking at the performance of a laptop that used to weigh six pounds in a three pound chassis
Note: The i5-2410M is a full 35 W dual core SNB CPU. I am very impressed that a ULV 17W chip matches it in performance.

Last edited:
Comment

JimNasium

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
Good news! That means the new MacBook airs are coming soon...:D
Yeah, but if you buy the MBA Retina display rumors they still have design issues to settle before releasing new MBAs. I still don't really understand the "power issues" the article references, so I have no idea how difficult it will be to settle this design issue.

Comment

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah, but if you buy the MBA Retina display rumors they still have design issues to settle before releasing new MBAs. I still don't really understand the "power issues" the article references, so I have no idea how difficult it will be to settle this design issue.
Things do sometimes get pushed off to a different hardware generation. Beside that, I doubt the validity of those "leaks". It's more likely that someone thought it would make a good story as it seems to match a current trend that initiated with the idevices.

Comment

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
I really hope apple doesn't go with Retina, I am not buying one anyways, but the graphics performance will be terrible with Retina included. The Ipad 3 has problems, I dont even want to know how the macbooks would react to such a high resolution. Of course this is coming from a gamer.

Comment

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
I really hope apple doesn't go with Retina, I am not buying one anyways, but the graphics performance will be terrible with Retina included. The Ipad 3 has problems, I dont even want to know how the macbooks would react to such a high resolution. Of course this is coming from a gamer.
I'm not too convinced about "retina" displays being added - well at least not pixel doubling. In the iPad 3, the battery size was increased by 70% to achieve the same life (or similar) to iPad 2. Will this be possibly in an MBA? I just don't know.

Comment

firlatim

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
Re: Intel announces dual core Ivy Bridge processors
what do you guys think about the latest MBA released? Any of these issues resolved?

Comment