Silver Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Canada
Hello Guys,

I hope this hasn't been posted before.

News Bit#1

It appears that Intel has solved the infamous current “leakage” problem facing the 45nm chip process. This is really BIG news … and will probably make AMD, IBM, VIA, Transmeta etc… very nervous since they all face the same obstacle. What does this mean for us … many benefits which we will make use of in the 45nm Merom later next year! Smaller die shrink = lower power and high clock rates + more
This is amazing considering the 65nm part (Yonah) is not even out yet!! :eek:

Check it out: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25512

News Bit#2

It also looks like Intel is headed in a NEW direction for their Processor Architecture in the not so distant future. “multi-core (4 or more), 64 bit, hyper threading” at 4x less power consumption than conventional methods … WOW! :eek: Look at the other bits of info on Intel’s upcoming info: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25496

These and other Intel news will be coming out soon at IDF later this month.

It looks like S. Jobs really knew what he was doing when he announced the switch. Man the future looks really rosy for Apple!!

Cheers! :D

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
great news to hear. i really don't like AMD. i had an AMD k7 ahtlon and it was utter crap.

WTG INTEL! :D :D :D

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
I wonder what kind of computers we will all be using in ten years. Think of the video game graphics :) I think apple picked a good time to ditch PPC.

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
tekmoe said:
great news to hear. i really don't like AMD. i had an AMD k7 ahtlon and it was utter crap.

WTG INTEL! :D :D :D
Odds are you had problems with the mainboard chipset the Athlon used, as Athlons/Althon64's themselves are bloody excellent, but there are lots of dodgy mainboard chipsets for them (VIA ! Grrr)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
This is great!!
Apple is E X T R E M E L Y smart with this move to Intel.

the only thing i wish they don't do is put that stupid intel inside sticker on top of my precious future Intel PowerBook

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
lilstewart92 said:
This is great!!
Apple is E X T R E M E L Y smart with this move to Intel.

the only thing i wish they don't do is put that stupid intel inside sticker on top of my precious future Intel PowerBook
Even worse: the Intel Inside sticker on a Power Mac! That would just be too much.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Well, none of us are really "insiders" in the industry. We're just getting these reports. At this point, all things seem to be going well, and show that Apple did, in fact, choose a good time to switch to the x86 platform.

I'm hoping it all goes well, and I really can't wait for the new revisions of Intel-based hardware!

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Chryx said:
Odds are you had problems with the mainboard chipset the Athlon used, as Athlons/Althon64's themselves are bloody excellent, but there are lots of dodgy mainboard chipsets for them (VIA ! Grrr)
Exactly. AMD64's are awesome. But I still buy Intel-based CPUs and motherboards because Intel makes chipsets that are much more stable and often superior than the competition (yes even better than nVidia's nForce chipsets, which are very good).

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Steve picked a winner.. it seems..

EARLIER WE POINTED OUT that the 45nm shrink of Merom is going to be called Penryn, the Moldavian term for moldy Apple(1).
(1) I completely made that up, but do read a little into it.
This was supposed to be an article about Intel's breakthrough. Why the Apple-bashing? How unprofessional.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Xapplimatic said:
This was supposed to be an article about Intel's breakthrough. Why the Apple-bashing? How unprofessional.
They bash everyone, that's their house style. Apple issues always get extra special treatment, because of this. :D

RandomDeadHead

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2003
fennario
AoWolf said:
I wonder what kind of computers we will all be using in ten years. Think of the video game graphics :) I think apple picked a good time to ditch PPC.
To hell with video game graphics. Think OSes. OS7<-->OS10.4.2
Games have no goten any more "fun", better looking yes, but not more fun.

OSes however. 10.4 is way way way more productave than what we had 10 years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.