Intel Core 2 "Extreme" Macbook Pro in July.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by koalition, Jun 19, 2007.

  1. Sbrocket macrumors 65816


    Jun 3, 2007
    I seriously doubt Apple would obsolete a MBP revision so soon after they just released it. Not to mention that your linked article mentions absolutely nothing about a new "Intel Core 2 Extreme MacBook Pro."

    I'm sure we can all agree that, eventually, the MBP will see another update. Probably sometime in the Spring or Summer of 2008. But in July, right after an update in June? That sounds awfully naïve to me.
  2. Zwhaler macrumors 604


    Jun 10, 2006
    We've all known about these for some time, what makes you think Apple will use this chip in their laptops?
  3. L3X macrumors 6502a

    Oct 18, 2006
    Chesapeake, VA
  4. noway macrumors regular


    Jun 11, 2007
    Who thinks that Apple will change their MBP for that new processor ? If they do well good fo those who waited. But I needed mine at least before august so I bought when it just came out.

    I dont feel bad bc if a major update comes, I have APP and hopefully my laptop would "die" just after I back it up. Someone knows what kind of failure Apple can't or don't bother repair and change the whole machine?
  5. mach macrumors regular

    Jun 5, 2007
    #6 (This is the link engadget provides)

    "In the mainstream class, the company will release the Core 2 Duo T7250 with 2GHz clock speed, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 cache, and a $209 price tag, as well as T7800 at 2.6GHz, featuring 800MHz FSB and 4MB L2 cache."

    The Core 2 Duo will be up to 2.6GHz by the end of July. I'm not expecting a MBP Core 2 Extreme, but I think it's reasonable to expect a speedbump in the MBP's Core 2 Duo up to the 2.6GHz. Perhaps the low end will be the current 2.4 and the high ends will get the 2.6.

    There's also a lot of time between now and October, when Leopard comes out. I am betting on Apple giving the MBPs (and their entire line, frankly) some speed bumps around then.

    I posted the MacBook Pro's update history in another thread recently:

    - February 14, 2006: Original MBP 1.83-2.0GHz Core Duo
    - May 16, 2006: Speedbump to 2.0-2.16GHz Core Duo
    - October 24, 2006: Upgrade to 2.16-2.33 Core 2 Duo, Radeon X1600 is now clocked to 450MHz (before it was underclocked to 418.5MHz)
    - June 5, 2007: Upgrade to 2.2-2.4GHz Core 2 Duo (Santa Rosa) and Geforce 8600M

    As you can see they were a couple months apart for a little while. I have a feeling Apple will pick us back up and at least up the processor and HD (160GB? Give us more, Apple) a little bit, maybe increase the clock speed or RAM on the currently underclocked, less RAM-than-stock 8600GT. (It should come in 256 and 512MB varieties).
  6. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

    Jan 19, 2006
    wow. that is FRAUD, no matter how you try to justify it.

    regardless, try denting it. applecare covers dents if there are many of them, especially if they are in the superdrive region.

    and if there are multiple cracks in your lcd, i read in many places that applecare does cover it, and that if it happens, they just give you the newest equivalent machine.

    good luck with it
  7. Umbongo macrumors 601


    Sep 14, 2006
    $850 processor soldered in to a notebook? Yeah, no thanks.
  8. L3X macrumors 6502a

    Oct 18, 2006
    Chesapeake, VA
    I understand the chips are coming out in July...BUT, my point is, there's no reason to believe that Apple will update the MBPs then.
  9. koalition thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 23, 2007
    of course July would be unrealistic since they just released mbp's. (just trying to get the thread started :)) . But maybe september/october?
  10. mach macrumors regular

    Jun 5, 2007
    I agree, they'll likely hold off on updating the MBPs to these chips for a while, like they did with upgrading them to Santa Rosa in the first place--if I remember correctly, other laptops (Dell, HP, etc) were getting Santa Rosa 2-3 weeks before the MBPs did.

    I just meant to bring to peoples' attention that this update isn't just for the Core 2 Extreme but also the Core 2 Duo, which actually makes it likely to happen.

    I think we'll get these updates in September or October, especially since Apple isn't too keen on updating their products often...
  11. Zwhaler macrumors 604


    Jun 10, 2006
    The only thing I can see happening is that if Apple uses the 2.6, Apple will offer it as an option, rather than a speed bump. (because of its price)
  12. iBunny macrumors 65816

    Apr 15, 2004

    However I do see these being utilized in the new upcomming iMacs that are geared more twords gaming.

    And possbily the new Mobility GeForce 8700 512MB which was just released
  13. wootdawg macrumors newbie

    Apr 25, 2007
    Why would apple use the extreme? Apples can't be overclocked (easily anyway), and the point of the extreme (at least on the desktop chips) was that they were multiplier unlocked for easier overclocking. I see the mobile C2D @ 2.6 coming, but the extreme would be pointless. I highly doubt they'd release a pre-overclocked MBP either considering they have been underclocking things lately.
  14. myke323 macrumors regular

    May 17, 2006
    just wait until 2010... you wouldn't BELIEVE it!
  15. HFU macrumors regular

    Jun 8, 2005
    Not Likely

    The Xtreme edition X7900 (2.8GHz), X7800 (2.6GHz) probably won't make into MBP (due to the TDP), instead it would be likely in iMac refresh. If any SR MBP refresh, it will be after October 07 when Intel drops mobile processor price. It is likely to see minor speed bump (T7700 2.4GHz) as base, and (T7800 2.6GHz) as higher end offering coincide with Leopard launch. July is not likely for another SR MBP update, maybe for other laptop manufactures.

    Intel Mobile Price after September 07:

    If that's what holding you up from buying the MBP, wait for Penryn or Nehalem in 08. Buy what's suitable for your need now.
  16. sinbushar macrumors regular

    Jan 5, 2002
    I really hope that that is sarcasm.
  17. noway macrumors regular


    Jun 11, 2007
    Well thank you for the info but in my book, a major update implies something like the one they had when the switched to Intel chips. So dont worry i wont be "frauding"... [lol] No need to say you surprised me with that comment since most people take extended warranty having in ming that they will ask to change/repair/update their machine... anywayz
  18. Sopranino macrumors 6502

    Sep 27, 2006
    Alberta, Canada
    Having a roadmap indicating that an upgrade is coming is absolutely no guarantee that Apple would automatically use it. Considering that there has just been a speed bump and that the Penryn systems are due out sometime mid of 2008 I don't really see Apple putting in a mild speed increase. Indeed I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the systems stay pretty much as is until Penryn.

  19. robrose20 macrumors 6502


    Jun 5, 2007
    Look, technology is always moving forward and there will always be something bigger and better around the corner. When you purchase a computer you have to resign yourself to the fact that in a few short months it will be replaced by something better. When I got my Quicksilver PowerMac, I was pissed off because the next month they released the MDD version. But you know, I still have that quicksilver and it works just fine.

    I just got my SR MPB and its great. I plan on using and enjoying it for many years to come and I will not get upset when, in a few months, something bigger and better comes out.
  20. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
  21. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 28, 2004
    Only a fool would buy in 2010, EVERYONE knows that 2011 is where the really cool stuff is going to be released.
  22. eenu macrumors 65816


    Aug 11, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    I don't think these will appear in the MBPs but i could certainly see them in the MP or the iMacs. I wonder if apple will move from Mobile processors to proper desktop procssors in the new iMacs.....
  23. andiwm2003 macrumors 601


    Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    maybe with the intel price drops in september then the MacBook goes santa rosa with a 2.0 and 2.2GHz CPU and the MBP's go 2.4 and 2.6GHz. anything above that is too expensive and too hot.

    no update to the MBP's before that, especially not in July. maybe the long rumored 12" ultraportable. but then with 1.6 or 1.8 GHz.
  24. jsw Moderator emeritus


    Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    You didn't buy one of the last-gen iMac G5s, did you? :)

Share This Page