Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rollercoasternd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
Hello, I have heard of people switching their Mac Mini's 1.66 GHz Core Duo with a Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz because the pins are the same on the sockets, I was wondering if the Core 2 Extreme's sockets were the same and if the Extreme would work with Mac OS X, I ask that since no Macs contain the Extreme chip. If so does anyone think that the Extreme would be a good choice for an upgrade?

Thanks,
Shane

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Leaving out the questionable reasons for putting a CPU costing more than the Mini itself in there this will not work. All available Extreme CPUs are desktop CPUs. Minis use laptop CPUs. They have totally different number of pins and are physically incompatible.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You cannot alter the chipset (this is the northbrige/southbridge combination) only the CPU.

The fastest CPU that currently seems to be available is the T7600 (2.33 Ghz Core2Duo mobile). This may or may not be within the Minis acceptable heat envelope...

rollercoasternd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
Well i don't think the temp will be an issue cause it won't be inside the Mini Case when I'm done with it. The warranty will be more then void when I'm done modding it. I was looking on Intel's website and it seems that the entire Core Duo line has the same LGA775 socket type but I don't know...

Edit: Are you sure that it uses a laptop chip because the only laptop chips I see are Centrino Mobile

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Centrino is marketing name for the whole platform not the CPU. I am 100% sure it is a socket 479 mobile processor.

Intels spec sheet for the T7600 is here. As you can clearly see it is labelled "Intel® Core™2 Duo Mobile Processor T7600" as it is the CPU only.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Actually it appears that Apple are using the 478 pin versions of CoreDuo at the moment. Fortunately there are 478 and 479 pin version of more Core2Duo Mobile processors.

rollercoasternd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
Thanks, so theoretically if heat was not an issue you could put the T7600 in the mini... Time for a blazing fast mini :D

rollercoasternd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
last thing, it seems that they don't sell just the CPU they only have links to systems already containing them, any ideas on a place (or links) that sells the CPU?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Take the CPU out and count the pins :p

Or look at the markings on it and do a search to find out. Or do a Google search and find out. I'm certainly not about to do one for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.