Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
ekenny said:
Anyway, if the iMac G5 was 64 bit, wouldnt apple advertise it on their product page? And as far as raw processing power, what advantage would the power mac have over the iMac if they both had the exact same cpu? The 64 bit G5 is only in the powermacs.

Pretty much the same as everything else that Apple produces?

"Ooooo! Shiny aluminium!"
"Look ma, I can swop my own graphics card, I am a real Pro"
and last but not least, dual core processors?

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
HOLY CRAP PEOPLE STOP IT!
icon_confused.gif
You are killing this thread, which is a REALLY interesting one. Is or is not the Core Duo 64-bit, and if it is why would Intel hide that fact (Flaw in the 64-bit implementation?) and if its available does Apple plan on some sort of firmware update at some point down the road to enable it when they either more fully support or add support for 64-bit to OS X. This isn’t a thread about whether or not OS X is 64-bit its about whether or not the Core Duo is!!

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Seriously, how did you get to the point that the G5 is 32-bit on the iMac?

A 64-bit processor can address up to 16777216 Terabytes of memory! But that's just the theoretical maximum, it's just impossible to get this amount inside any form of computer (As far as I know). Now, even though the G5 is 64-bit, it can only address up to 4 Terabytes of memory, still impossible to fit inside a desktop. So the limit set by Apple on the Powermac and the iMac is just the limit of the motherboard and the memory controller.

http://www.apple.com/g5processor/

enough said...

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
SiliconAddict said:
IS or is not the Core Duo 64-bit, and if it is why would Intel hide that fact and if its available does Apple plan on some sort of firmware update at some point down the road to enable it when they either more fully support or add support for 64-bit to OS X. This isn’t a thread about whether or not OS X is 64-bit its about whether or not the Code Duo is!!

that's my question as well. it's one thing if core duo has 64-bit capabilities as shipped now. it's another thing entirely if those 64-bit capabilities are disabled at the hardware level by intel (somewhat like how intel disabled hyperthreading in the first northwood p4s).

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I'm sure we'll not be able to take advantage of 64 bit. Companies don't tend to ship things and unlock capabilities later. For that, they have a new model. :)

I believe the chips probably do have the capability, but we'll never get to use it.

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
If it is there, its disabled and we will never be able to turn it on. It doesn't really much sense for them to be 64-bit anyways. It kind of takes away the glory of Merom if they are. Merom is set at the same chip speeds as Yonah, but with the better Performance Per Watt and 64-bit.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
cnakeitaro said:
If it is there, its disabled and we will never be able to turn it on. It doesn't really much sense for them to be 64-bit anyways. It kind of takes away the glory of Merom if they are. Merom is set at the same chip speeds as Yonah, but with the better Performance Per Watt and 64-bit.

So in an iMac, will these make much of a difference? 64 bit doesn't seem that big of a deal at least right now and performance per watt in an iMac does not seem like an immediate worry.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
cnakeitaro said:

So in an iMac, will these make much of a difference? 64 bit doesn't seem that big of a deal at least right now and performance per watt in an iMac does not seem like an immediate worry.Will Apple put Meroms in iMacs, or only portables?

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
powerbook911 said:
So in an iMac, will these make much of a difference? 64 bit doesn't seem that big of a deal at least right now and performance per watt in an iMac does not seem like an immediate worry.Will Apple put Meroms in iMacs, or only portables?

Right now 64-bit doesn't mean much. My only worry is that maybe in the next 2-3 years developers might begin to make 64-bit only apps which would leave early intel adopters stranded.

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
This is incredible news to me. I was debating holding off buying an iMac until the 64-bit Merom came out later this year, but I couldn't wait so I bought one (and boy am I glad!).

Intel has been weirdly tight-lipped about the Core Duo's capabilities. There were conflicting reports about virtualization on the Core Duo, but apparently it's there in the Macs after someone emailed Intel about it. And now the possibility of 64-bit? I'm confused by the wording of this article. How are they so sure that Yonah and the Sossaman are the same thing? Sossaman is an SMP Yonah, and isn't it quite possible Intel added 64-bit to the Sossaman implementation and not the Yonah? According to the Wikipedia article on the Intel Core: "The only difference between Intel Core and Sossaman cores will be the capability of the latter to be used in multi-processor dual-core systems."

So it seems quite possible. Can anyone with an Intel iMac with programming knowledge try to run a 64-bit process and see what happens?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
mingisback said:
I pulled this info off Gizmodo.com

It seems that the Intel Core Duo processors that are all the rage these days may be a little more powerful than Intel would have you know. Thanks to a little detective work, it’s been discovered that the processors, deep down inside, are actually 64-bit compatible. Yes, that Core Duo you have right now is a 64-bit chip. Intel openly admits that its Sossaman chips are 64-bit, but does not mention this fact about its consumer-targetted Yonah chips, despite the fact that the two are one in the same. What consumer (or geek) would not want to play around with a 64-bit Linux distribution, or Windows 64-bit for that matter? Intel may just have some explaining to do.

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/intel/intel-hiding-features-from-users-153822.php

Sorry, GIzmodo, and Gizmodo's source are all wrong.

Intel Link:
Advancing the Microarchitecture
At Fall 2005 IDF, Intel showcased Sossaman, a dual-core DP Xeon processor targeted for ultradense environments benefiting from low power consumption. Sossaman's platforms are based on the Intel® E7520 Chipset, and Sossaman itself is based on a derivative of the Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor - M and built on Intel 65 nm process technology. Sossaman is targeted for financial services, high performance computing and other performance-density market segments. The leading-edge capability of Sossaman also allows for deployment of dense blade and 1U racks.

'Sossaman' is *NOT* based on Yonah. It is based on the same NetBurst core as every other 'Xeon'. Intel claims it is based on the 'Pentium 4-M' processor, which is the portable version of the desktop Pentium 4. It uses the 'NetBurst' architecture. Pentium M is based on the much older 'P6' core used in the Pentium Pro, Pentium II, and Pentium III. THe NetBurst core has had 64-bit-ness tacked on, but P6 won't have 64-bit tacked on until Merom/Conroe.

In short, everyone who says Sossaman is based on Yonah is wrong. Sossaman is based on the desktop Pentium 4/D's next revision, the 65 nm 'Presler'.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
iMac G5 = 64-bit, iMac Core Duo = 32-bit.

And to settle all the crap regarding the iMac G5 not being 64-bit:

The iMac G5 uses the same 'G5' IBM PowerPC 970 processor as in the Power Mac G5. The PowerPC 970 is 64-bit. Period. IBM doesn't make a 32-bit PowerPC 970.

But, if you need more proof, here's the Internet Archive's cache of the iMac web page soon after the iMac G5's intro.

Internet Archive Link emphasis mine
Technology Democratized

The iMac G5 brings the same innovative system architecture in Apple professional desktops to the home. The G5 processor makes everything zippier — connecting to email or the web, creating movies, songs and DVDs, arranging photos or playing music. Choose a 1.6 or 1.8GHz G5 processor that’s ready to run modern 64-bit applications under the secure and stable Mac OS X operating system. What’s more, the G5 speeds up Mac OS X and all the other included software, such as iLife ’04, Quicken 2004 and World Book.

And, to top it off, if you go to Apple's G5 Processor page, you see it explicitly state 64-bit, with a link to the iMac G5 up top. (Older versions of the iMac G5's main webpage (see linked archive version above,) have a direct link to this page. Apple didn't make a big deal out of the iMac's 64-bit-ness, but they did acknowledge it.

I'm guessing that when they decided to move the iMac to the 32-bit Core Duo, they decided to completey remove all references to the 64-bitness of the iMac G5 so it wouldn't become an obvious 'downgrade'. (I mean, it already lost .1 GHz, losing half its bitness would have made it seem like too much of a 'downgrade' just when they're trying to explain why it's such a huge improvement.)

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
ehurtley said:
'Sossaman' is *NOT* based on Yonah. It is based on the same NetBurst core as every other 'Xeon'. Intel claims it is based on the 'Pentium 4-M' processor, which is the portable version of the desktop Pentium 4. It uses the 'NetBurst' architecture. Pentium M is based on the much older 'P6' core used in the Pentium Pro, Pentium II, and Pentium III. THe NetBurst core has had 64-bit-ness tacked on, but P6 won't have 64-bit tacked on until Merom/Conroe.

In short, everyone who says Sossaman is based on Yonah is wrong. Sossaman is based on the desktop Pentium 4/D's next revision, the 65 nm 'Presler'.

That's a bummer, especially since Wikipedia says thus:

In early 2005, rumors began circulating that Intel was considering tweaking the Intel Core chip for a possible release on the desktop. Confidential Intel presentations also indicate that Intel intends to release a version of Intel Core, codenamed Sossaman, for blade servers. Sossaman will be marketed as Xeon LV and ULV. The only difference between Intel Core and Sossaman cores will be the capability of the latter to be used in multi-processor dual-core systems.

And there's this from last August:

IDF Intel today confirmed that 'Yonah', its 65nm dual-core mobile processor and the basis for the 'Sossaman' low-power Xeon chip, will support Virtualisation Technology.

Sossaman takes Yonah and adds dual-processor support, along with a 36-bit physical address bus to allow the chip to handle up to 64GB of physical memory - typically 400MHz ECC DDR 2, connected via the E7520 'Lindenhurst' chipset Intel expects Sossaman to be used with. That said, the E7520 supports only 32GB of RAM, so the gain is moot.

Despite those sources, the Intel page you linked specifically mentions being based on the Pentium 4-M. Damn!

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
what core is yohan ?

I am confussed, I have not worried about intel chips for a long time. Last time i followed intel it was 3 lines, Pentium, Pentium ii, Pentium iii, all being the same core. the Pentium pro bcame the xeon. and the 3rd line was the HP px risk which became the itinam or ix. So what is the family tree for these intel chips?

is the P4 the same as a pentium M?
does the penitum M mean mobil?
does the Pentium came from the P4, which came from the P3 ?
if so where did yohan core come from?

I very confussed, please can somebody explain all the new chips and there priors

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
munkees said:

Pentium-M is descended from the Pentium 3 architecture. The M is for mobile, which means the chip is targeted for low wattage.

Yonah is an improved dual-core Pentium-M. The Pentium 4 architecture is being phased out in favor of more efficient designs like the Yonah and the future Merom/Conroe family. Intel is marketing these new chips at consumers under the Core brand.

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
After further reading, Sossaman is in fact based off the Yonah. The confusion seems to be that Sossaman is 64-bit, even though Intel has never stated such and all reports so far indicate that it is 32-bit. Someone probably saw the >32-bit memory addressing of Sossaman (inherited from the Pentium Pro/3 line) and got confused. Sossman is a low-power SMP version of the Yonah.

mactim

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
32-bit obsolescence

Don't worry, 64-bit support is likely to be added through the Universal binary mechanism, for those that have the CPU and RAM to make use of it.

cnakeitaro said:
Right now 64-bit doesn't mean much. My only worry is that maybe in the next 2-3 years developers might begin to make 64-bit only apps which would leave early intel adopters stranded.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Boy am I glad I'm running PPC...

...everything is so clear-cut. I have two 970's running at 2.0GHz. I think my next mac will be a second-hand 1.67GHz G4. When the Intel Mini's come out - I'll see what the fuss is about - and possibly buy a 1.25GHz G4 mini and overclock the little ***** to 1.5GHz.

Then I'll be happy. As long as Apple support the PPC for at least like 8 years - :)

I'm waiting for an Anniversary Quad 3.0GHz G5.

Oh, and I don't think 64-bit Intel chips are in Apple hardware. Even IF it were - any way of getting 64-bit (for what ppl?!) will invalidate your warranties and my screw up OS X and the programs you run.

64-bit will be in Apple machines when Apple say they are. You want 64-bit so bad? Buy a G5.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
everything you say is wrong in more than one way, it makes me depressed to even think about arugeing with you because it will be futile, and two weeks from now i'll see you post something just as wrong.....

macdesire

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2005
Doesn't really matter

Unless your software is designed to address +4GB of memory space - the feature is useless. Besides the core-duo doesn't have EM64T support. In two, three years 99% of software won't be addressing memory as large as this, besides your hardware will be redundant.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
munkees said:
I am confussed, I have not worried about intel chips for a long time. Last time i followed intel it was 3 lines, Pentium, Pentium ii, Pentium iii, all being the same core. the Pentium pro bcame the xeon. and the 3rd line was the HP px risk which became the itinam or ix. So what is the family tree for these intel chips?

does the penitum M mean mobil?

I very confussed, please can somebody explain all the new chips and there priors

Pentium: P5 core
Pentium Pro: P6 core
Pentium 2: improved P6 core with a few additions
Pentium 3: further improved P6 core with more additions, including SSE
Pentium 4: P7 ("NetBurst") core
Pentium 4m: supposedly mobile version of the Pentium 4
Pentium-M: new mobile core based loosely on the P6, with a few things borrowed from P7
CoreDuo: dual core Pentium-M with a few additions (codenamed Yonah)
Pentium-D: dual core Pentium 4
Merom (mobile)/Conroe (desktop)/Woodcrest (server): new core (P8?) with design ideas coming from both CoreDuo and the Pentium-D. Will be released later this year.

Xeon: has been a variety of cores, basically just means "the high end/server version of whatever is current for desktops"
Celeron: has been a variety of cores, basically just means "the low end/crippled version of whatever is current for desktops"
Celeron-M: mobile version of the Celeron

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Pass the crow, please.

Alright. I used to work for Intel's server division. Catfish man has the list of processors right, with two minor quibbles:

Pentium-M is essentially a P6 core, only using the NetBurst-P4's bus, and with SSE2 from the P4 added. It has no 'core' pieces of NetBurst (no trace cache, and thankfully no ridiculously-long pipeline.

Celeron-M is more properly "has been a variety of cores, basically just means "the low end/crippled version of whatever is current for notebooks".. This is because the desktop Celeron-D is based on NetBurst/Pentium 4, but the mobile Celeron-M is based on P6/Pentium-M. Basically, they apply the 'Celeron' name to crippled versions of whatever is most appropriate for the use.

Crap. Intel's website is confusing. I had written the following:
And as for the Sossaman is Yonah crap. The Register is mis-interpreting this Intel press release. In it, Intel mentions in the same paragraph that both Yonah and Sossaman will be on the 65-nm process. The Register somehow took that to mean that they were one and the same.

Then I found this...

So Intel's PR says Sossaman is based on the "Mobile Pentium 4 Processor-M" (a.k.a NetBurst,) but Pat Gelsinger says at IDF that it is indeed based on Yonah. And a SuperMicro Press Release also calls Sossaman "The brand new 32-bit dual-core Intel Xeon LV processor with 2MB of L2 cache running at 2 GHz is based on the existing Pentium M architecture and offered power-saving features with Demand Based Switching, and Enhanced Speedstep Technology (EIST)."

So I guess someone will have to find me a plate of crow. I'm guessing that even though the Intel PR is dated LATER than the Gelsinger speech, that the PR dept was wrong, not Gelsinger.

But, it does show irrefutably that Sossaman is only 32-bit. Which means Yonah/Core Duo is still only 32-bit. (edit: Sossaman does have 36-bit memory addressing, which means that it can access more memory than a normal 32-bit chip, but it can't process 64-bit data blocks, and any given process can only address 32-bits of memory.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.