Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Inquirer claims that Intel's Core Duo chips are set to see a price drop as of May 28th.

The price of the high end 2.16GHz Core Duo that is a build to order option for the MacBook Pro is set to drop as much as $214 per unit. The slower clocked chips will see more modest price drops ($129 drop for the 1.83GHz chip and $54 drop for the 1.66GHz chip). Also expected is a 2.33GHz T2700 Core Duo processor later this year.

This does not necessarily mean a price drop on corresponding Macs, however. Apple historically has been relatively consistent in their Mac pricing for the duration of a product's lifespan.

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
Why would anyone rate this negative?

Cheaper chips means more $$ for dedicated graphics and other more expensive stuff left out due to cost.

First post?

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
yay, more profits to apple. Can someone tell me when the macbooks will be available for order, not delivery, just order.

rxse7en

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
It's gonna make it tougher for me to keep waiting out a Merom-powered 'book! I just yoinked the "G" key off of my G4 'book this morning--just another reason to upgrade sooner :D

B

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
rxse7en said:
It's gonna make it tougher for me to keep waiting out a Merom-powered 'book! I just yoinked the "G" key off of my G4 'book this morning--just another reason to upgrade sooner :D

B

well if you knock of the 4 key take it as a sign

Lukasha

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2005
Los Angeles
As soon as that 1.8 comes below $200 I'll be buying one and upgrading my mini Core Solo. Then I'll have a faster mini than what's available at less than the cost of the fastest one.

Jeff

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
That would be just great! It would be nice to be able to pick up a MBP 2.16 for the price of a current 2.0 or a 2.0 for the price of a 1.83. That would also probably bring the 15" and 17" MBP prices in line with the 12/15/17" PB line. If there is a 17" MBP coming, that is...I'd love the 17" to replace my 17" PB, but given the current 15" MBP price, I'd need to shell out $3000+ for one and that's a great big negative, good buddy! :( Go Intel! :D

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Macrumors said:
This does not necessarily mean a price drop on corresponding Macs, however. Apple historically has been relatively consistent in their Mac pricing for the duration of a product's lifespan.

The logical thing might then be to speedbump the Intel Macs at that time while retaining the prices.

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
Let The Debate Begin

I realize that there's a difference in 32 and 64 bit processing, but I still get the feeling that Apple will hold onto the Yonah in its "consumer" (if that separation still exists in the future) line, and put the 64 bit Merom and Conroe processors into the "professional" line.

What that translates into, I'm not sure--the only thing that I can foresee is that the iBook replacement will probably not have a Core Solo processor for long, if it ever does.

YoNeX

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005
I'm sorry, but i'll just say it. DUH! Of course prices for things will eventually go down in price. You know the old saying, once you bought the computer from the computer store, its already outdated. Then the very second, something like Moore's Law applies (uh you know what I mean). So give anything time, it will eventually go down in price. Just common sense. The only informative about this is predicting the time when the prices will go down and how much, but I have a feeling that these figures and dates won't be so accurate.

Mitch1984

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2005
Telford
I bet the MacBooks and iMac's will get a speed bump then.
opening up the possibility of a faster than planned MacBook (iBook).

zenvision

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
London
so the price of chips from intel may be going down, and theoretically this should affect macbook prices, but when would the consumer get to see the actual price changes?

it seems everytime im about to walk out the door and pick up a macbook pro, something else comes up saying 'WAIT!'

bah ;)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I think the Solo needs a drop more than the Duo does (and I expect it will get a drop too).

Shaker

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2004
if apple is really serious about trying to lure PC users, they will have to drop the prices. Someone in the market for a laptop will look at Dell, Sony, Toshiba and will have even less incentive to now pay a double premium for a Mac.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
swingerofbirch said:
I can't wait for Apple to pass the savings onto themselves.

(?)

LOL........probably true.

I wonder what this will mean for the Mac Mini... any speculation?

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
matthewHUB said:
Why would anyone rate this negative?

Cheaper chips means more $$ for dedicated graphics and other more expensive stuff left out due to cost.

First post?

I would assume people are giving it a negative rating because they don't belive the savings will be passed onto the consumer. I doubt this will happen because Apple can't differentiate on hardware and keep the prices artificially high anymore, well one would hope not but with Apple who knows!

Jay

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Yay for Apple, hopefully they will do us a good thing and increase performance while keeping the price the same. I mean the MBP has been out for 4 months wouldn't this be in the PC world about time for an update?

D*I*S_Frontman

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Appleton,WI
YoNeX said:
I'm sorry, but i'll just say it. DUH! Of course prices for things will eventually go down in price. You know the old saying, once you bought the computer from the computer store, its already outdated. Then the very second, something like Moore's Law applies (uh you know what I mean). So give anything time, it will eventually go down in price. Just common sense. The only informative about this is predicting the time when the prices will go down and how much, but I have a feeling that these figures and dates won't be so accurate.

Moore's Law has nothing to do with economics.

Supply and demand control pricing.

Apple has positioned itself as a premier computer brand, and they set system prices based on what they think a consumer will pay. If they think high-end laptop buyers will pay $3-4k for a great portable system (fully loaded), that's what they'll sell it for. In the past, Apple seems to find the top end sweet spot pricing-wise, then continue minor speed bumps and upgrades to systems to keep people buying at that price point.

If you establish a marquee brand, keeping the price high actually ADDS to the perception of exclusivity and quality. It also means not playing the "whore-'em-out-at-razor-thin-margins" game all the other PC makers play.

Cheaper components will NOT mean cheaper systems. It will mean room for other peripheral improvements within a system, or just more net profit for Apple, or, more likely, a combination of the two.

Apple will sell cheap laptops at right around $999, high end laptops around $2,000-3,500, iMacs in the $1000-1700 range, and high end towers for around $2,000-4,000 or so (properly loaded w/RAM, HDD, etc.). The prices have not really dropped much for these types of systems since Steve Jobs return, not will they in the foreseeable future.

Systems will, however, continue to improve in raw computational power within those price points in order to remain competitive. But don't be looking for $999 MacBook Pros anytime soon. Or ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.