Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
This looks like the article Tallest Skil is referring to:

This makes me mad... I don't want anything slowing down Nehalem in an iMac, especially lousy PC laptops.

Link

From the pdfs from the Microsoft current court case regarding Vista Capable etc, we can see Intel has form.
A shame, but at least some i7 chips are out...

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
I hope you're not getting your information from Wikipedia.

With laptops being where the money is going to be, it would not be in Intel's best interests to have a massive 12+ months between having desktop CPUs on sale and bringing out mobile versions.

Sad fact is that the mobile chips aint in production yet and the time tables or roadmaps (offical intel ones) don't show i7m to be before Q3 2009.

Mac Pro will go i7 first, then probably the iMacs then the laptops i'd imagine.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
the mobile chips
which will be around the end of Q2 (not Q3 or 4 like everybody is shouting)
Q2 was the original rumored date, back when Bloomfield (Core i7) was announced over a year ago.

Or was there a new rumor/roadmap this month?

Sad fact is that the mobile chips aint in production yet and the time tables or roadmaps (offical intel ones) don't show i7m to be before Q3 2009.
Apparently Intel has first silicon or something for at least two of Lynnfield/Clarksfield/Havendale/Auburndale late last year. So that would mean late this year or so for release.

And everyone seems to forget that while quad-core Nehalems are slated for Q3/Q4 2009, the dual-cores may not be released until January/Q1 2010.

And on the topic of iMacs...

The desktop quad-core Penryns rumored to go in the iMacs are 65 W. While Clarksfield is 35/45* W, Lynnfield is 95* W. So Apple would have to go one of two ways:
  1. Go from desktop Penryn to mobile Nehalem, which may result in less performance for the same $
  2. Wait most likely another 1~2 quarters for 65* W Lynnfields
  3. Since 32 nm Lynnfield/Clarksfield may come in Q3 2010, Intel might just wait for 32 nm before releasing 65 W Lynnfields
* Some Nehalem CPUs can be 10 W hotter than Penryn CPUs and still release the same total heat. This includes Clarksfield, Havendale (10 W built-in GPU), and Auburndale (10 W built-in GPU), but I'm not sure about the others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.