Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The Intel Core i9-13900K is the flagship Raptor Lake CPU, featuring 24 cores and 32 threads in an 8 P-Core and 16 E-Core configuration. The CPU is configured at a base clock of 3.0 GHz, a single-core boost clock of 5.8 GHz (1-2) cores, and an all-core boost clock of 5.5 GHz (all 8 P-Cores). The CPU features 68 MB of combined cache and a 125W PL1 rating that goes up to 250W. However, to get the best performance, Intel has a new performance mode coming to town.

It could come in handy this winter in my unheated basement.

I just added a wall power meter to my Amazon cart. I'm curious as to how much power various devices we use, consume.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Combine this with the upcoming 4000 series GPUs from NVidia and you could literally max out the capacity of a household circuit with one computer.

And yet I wish Apple would do something like this. Take the gloves off and really show how powerful Apple silicon can be when efficiency is no longer a consideration. Everything we've seen so far has been variants of efficiency focused mobile processors that really don't compare to this sort of monster.

ondioline

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2020
8 P-Core and 16 E-Core”

Kind of a weird core configuration with these new i9s. I’m really interested in how better it performs vs the 13th gen i7 since they have the same P-cores

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The Intel Core i9-13900K is the flagship Raptor Lake CPU, featuring 24 cores and 32 threads in an 8 P-Core and 16 E-Core configuration. The CPU is configured at a base clock of 3.0 GHz, a single-core boost clock of 5.8 GHz (1-2) cores, and an all-core boost clock of 5.5 GHz (all 8 P-Cores). The CPU features 68 MB of combined cache and a 125W PL1 rating that goes up to 250W. However, to get the best performance, Intel has a new performance mode coming to town.

It could come in handy this winter in my unheated basement.

I just added a wall power meter to my Amazon cart. I'm curious as to how much power various devices we use, consume.
All core p-clock of 6.2 Ghz isn't too shabby for those that do the OC thing.

VivienM

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2022
Toronto, ON
And yet I wish Apple would do something like this. Take the gloves off and really show how powerful Apple silicon can be when efficiency is no longer a consideration. Everything we've seen so far has been variants of efficiency focused mobile processors that really don't compare to this sort of monster.
Maybe they'll do it for the Mac Pro, but Apple silicon is based on multiples of what is fundamentally a mobile-targetted design. Each M1-family chip is just more CPU/GPU cores of the same design... and I don't think you would accomplish what Intel is trying to do by making an 80-core M1 SuperDuperUltra. And with the overwhelming majority of Apple silicon being used in fanless mobile devices (watch, iPhone, iPad, MBA) - I don't think the cost of trying to design a high-power chip that isn't a modular version of a low-power chip can be justified...

Already, it tells you something that the Mac Pro is the main machine not switched over to Apple silicon - I think they will really struggle to produce something that isn't effectively 2x Mac Studios. And I don't think that's what the Mac Pro buyer wants - 2x Mac Studios would basically be the trash can 2013 Mac Pro 2.0, minus user-upgradeable RAM.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Suddenly those PowerBook G5 mockups actually make sense for Intel's forthcoming processors.

powerbook-g51528826907157.jpg

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Maybe they'll do it for the Mac Pro, but Apple silicon is based on multiples of what is fundamentally a mobile-targetted design. Each M1-family chip is just more CPU/GPU cores of the same design... and I don't think you would accomplish what Intel is trying to do by making an 80-core M1 SuperDuperUltra. And with the overwhelming majority of Apple silicon being used in fanless mobile devices (watch, iPhone, iPad, MBA) - I don't think the cost of trying to design a high-power chip that isn't a modular version of a low-power chip can be justified...

Already, it tells you something that the Mac Pro is the main machine not switched over to Apple silicon - I think they will really struggle to produce something that isn't effectively 2x Mac Studios. And I don't think that's what the Mac Pro buyer wants - 2x Mac Studios would basically be the trash can 2013 Mac Pro 2.0, minus user-upgradeable RAM.

I disagree. Look at the single core performance of the M2. If they pumped 350W in that thing and attached a truck sized radiator to it, I'm sure it'll outrun whatever Intel has on a per core basis.

• Haha
Reactions: flashflood101

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm with @ondioline, I don't get having more efficiency cores that performance cores. That's completely backwards.

Also, would Intel be able to push 350W onto a chip if the feature size was all the way down to 5nm? The "wires" might be to small for loads like that.

This just all makes me hear Captain Kirk. "We. Need. More. Power, Scotty!"

Cancelled
Aug 3, 2022
8 P-Core and 16 E-Core”

Kind of a weird core configuration with these new i9s. I’m really interested in how better it performs vs the 13th gen i7 since they have the same P-cores
They want to beat AS in core count. Not efficiency. 😆

Reactions: KeithBN

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I'm with @ondioline, I don't get having more efficiency cores that performance cores. That's completely backwards.
My guess is thermal headroom. Processors are compared on single thread and multithread performance. One performance core is all you need to show up for the single thread benchmark, power be damned. For multithread they may have needed to choose whether they wanted 4 efficiency cores or 2 performance cores while staying in their thermal envelope, and chose more cores.

Intel is showing signs of panic similar to when AMD was eating their lunch in the early 2000's.

Last edited:
Reactions: giv-as-a-ciggy-kent

giv-as-a-ciggy-kent

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2020
Aus
This is desperation. By all indications AMD’s 7000 series is going to be a beast so they are doing the uncapped power limit thing to just make sure to be on the top of the benchmark charts… at 350+ watt package power. Lol. Lmao even. Maybe they will be sold with the Peltier AIO they developed with coolermaster.

My 5950x will pull 250w if I let it and I find it totally excessive. 7000 series will be an 20+% boost at same wattage by addressing most of the bottlenecks in zen3. Apple silicon is in another universe, one in which x86 will forever be irrelevant.

13th gen will apparently be outsourced to a non-intel foundry. AMD’s been at 7nm for years at this point via TSMC, meanwhile intel is still stuck on 14nm.

Long story short, this is Shitburst 2.0, except the current architecture is at least competent but it’s pretty clear they are years away from the next big leap.

TBH wouldn’t mind another run of Thunderbird/Palomino/Barton/k8 style domination for a few years.

giv-as-a-ciggy-kent

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2020
Aus
Intel 12th gen and 13th gen are not 14nm.
Oh right. 10nm for alder lake. I guess the halcyon days of 14nm are over.

I have never had a bad experience with intel (skipped pentium 4 completely, lol)… all my intel systems have been reliable and good performers. But their total stagnation (how the heck was a 4790k still competitive for 4+ product cycles?) is just arrogance.

I hope they get their **** together because AMD have demonstrated they’re not the good guys either, just look at the fiasco of zen3 on 300 series chipsets. Strong competition will benefit the consumer. But this design approach, if true shows they are kind of rudderless. Hopefully their r&d people are working on some good stuff.

Tbh I’m ready to see the return of Power in mainstream skus so we can have all out silicon war again.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
8 P-Core and 16 E-Core”

Not really .Gracemount was meant to be used in higher count server processors.

The ‘E’ core designation is not the same way Apple uses the designation . These are not meant to be phone ‘stand by‘ or watch CPU cores .

they are more space efficient than trying to maximize energy savings. Those are two different goals ( a bit related outcome on performance but different )

Also note that this article dates from 2020. Intel didn’t make a nsmechange of 10nm Enhanced SuperFin to Intel 7 until 2021 . this somewhat iindicative that this was orinally targeted at what Intel is now calling Intel 4 .

Intel‘s roadmap for Sierra Forrest on Intel 3 is on ‘E’ cores out in

if Intel backported Gracemount to Intel 7 and left a gap in their server E core roll out in 2022 that kind of explains the delay.

The main issue is that the P ( slightly modified to Redwood cove from Golden Cove … pretty good chance they took out the fused off AVX 512 function units to ‘buy’ space for more E core space. ) . The P core mods likely have some optimizations for cranking the clock higher. …. Which will help them win some single thread , drag racing benchmarks.

In short , Intel wished Gen 13 was on Intel 4 but have to make do with Intel 7 . To compensate E count is higher than P count. Gen 13 should be competitive with Zen 4 in desktop products .with less E cores they would not.

Reactions: RuralJuror

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

Not if they have die size limitations. Die size has an impact on unit costs and yields . Too large a die and Intel won’t have a competitive product.

Also, would Intel be able to push 350W onto a chip if the feature size was all the way down to 5nm? The "wires" might be to small for loads like that.

there is zero need to have a single wire as the sole power input to the chip . That 300 W is aggregate consumption not single wire consumption . And if have 8 billion more transistors on a die they don’t come power consumption free.

Trying to push the consumption to 350w isn’t the objective . Optimizing thr core design for that isn’t really much help in their laptop products . Intel sells lots more laptop than desktop processors . The design is skewed that way in part it icees drag racing benchmarks and some apps are places where can score some marking wins on AMD .

When Intel gets to Intel 4 and Intel 3 pretty good chance they’ll be trying to claw back those sky high power levels .

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
13th gen will apparently be outsourced to a non-intel foundry. AMD’s been at 7nm for years at this point via TSMC, meanwhile intel is still stuck on 14nm.

Gen 13 is not outsourced. It is same baseline Intel 7 ( old 10nm Enhanced SuperFin … not really the old 10 structurally ) . That is one reason it is coming out quickly . It is a refinement of what the pay had in Gen 12 . Probably got rid of AVX-512 not using in P cores . Made process libra optimizations to squeeze more out of the process , but basically the same API from the driver/os/app level .
probably also a slightly bigger chip for these top end versions where crank up the E cores .

Long story short, this is Shitburst 2.0, except the current architecture is at least competent but it’s pretty clear they are years away from the next big leap.

Probably not multiple years . Rt of the problem is likely that the ordinal target for this is what Intel is now calling Intel 4 and they backported to Intel 7/as a backstop . That would explain the die bloat problems here .

intel problem is more so they should dial back on giant leaps forward and do more incremental moves on a regular pace.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
i wonder how much is too much ?!
soon people who will power on their intel+nvidia high end computers in their home, the electric panel will switch off

Reactions: BanjoDudeAhoy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.