Intel cuts electric cords with wireless power system

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by lexus, Aug 22, 2008.

1. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Sure, when it is available…

;)

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Depends on its use in the consumer home market, I didn't see that down as an example of its use but that might change over time. I'm interested in the equipment required to do this since it requires a transmitter as well as a receiver. It's a cool idea but are there any long term effects that come from being within range of such a power source, pointing back to examples showing it in open areas like airports and offices.

Once these things are resolved and its financially feasible I can see Apple adopting this technology.

Plenty of time for resolving I think. :D

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

The article states they are using magnetic waves instead of electrons to transmit power. That part works; i've seen it done. I'd like to see the effect it has on hard drives before I support it, though.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Just in time for Mac Mini updates

However if they can focus and beam power in specific directions could not this technology be used for weaponry? Here's hoping to be able to buy a Phaser in 2050:D.

When predictions are made this far in the future I think of how in the 1950's they said by the 80's or 90's we would have personal robots doing everything in the house. Also we were supposed to have hover cars and moon vacations by now.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I believe they can already do this with microwave transmissions.

Problem, for the household, people tend to self-immolate, if they get between the transmitter and the receiver. :eek:

:p

And if, as reported, induction currents from a cell phone are causing brain tumours, WTH will this "field" cause???

6. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Put a small fluorescent bulb (like those big strip ones) in a microwave and it will light up....

and then explode a few seconds later, but it is possible to wirelessly transmit power, just not very effectively yet!

Please don't try this at home.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Mankind saw this done 100 years ago. :p

This is nothing new at all. It's been reported, but I don't know why. These people have never heard of Tesla, whose concepts (from over 100 years ago) allow for this, and have worked. Generally, the ability to transfer power wirelessly, even large amounts, have been done already.

8. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

waits for the soon to follow posts:

"Official Waiting on my Wireless charging MBP" threads, which of course will lay the path for "When will Apple have an Airport Extreme Base Station Home System Charger?" and let's not forget the every week thread of "It's almost Tuesday, think we'll have wirelessly charging <insert device here>?" and last but not least "Well, another Tuesday come and gone and still no wirelessly charging <insert device here>"

9. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Am I the only one who thought that the title meant cutting cords with some invisible power-beam? :eek:

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No, you're not.

That's how the title was crafted.

Insofar as me living within a transformer, to allow all this to happen, I think I will pass.

Maybe in my next life, should there be one.

11. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

Now this could be something to have fun with... forget the boring old static shocks from rubbing feet on the floor and all that..... :)

More careful understanding would make you realize that the intent is that by 2050 they would not need wires to power devices.

Definately will be another case of what comes first the chicken or the egg, to make it possible you need devices, but without devices you wont get companies investing in the infrastructure.

It will be interesting to see how much this type of system weighs to see whether or not it can be realistically used in aircraft. It has a lot more potential in housing/offices where maybe you can install one or two devices per room and not need to install as much wiring. Same deal for the office complexes.

I would take a guess and say one of the very first devices to use this would be a power strip. That way you can get the tech into buildings and companies can still run legacy devices until they go through the life cycle and then newer devices come in ready to use this type of power distribution.

12. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I can see how this could start to happen. You open your brand new MacBook Pro, take the "AirPower Pro" power brick out and plug it into the wall (if you don't already have an AirPower Extreme, that is) which will then begin to broadcast your electricity. Your computer will have a combo battery that could power the computer for a short period of time in the event of an AirPower failure. Of course, by the time the AirPower networks are well established computers will have become very compact and you won't have to run out and buy one, you can simply have your AirPowered 3D molecular generator download your purchases for you. *goes off to start AirPower Extreme rumor thread* :D

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

One concern I thought of is what would the energy efficiency of something like this be. Most high efficiency power supplies get around 80-85% energy efficiency going from AC to DC. How about AC to wireless to DC. Especially at say 40 or 50 feet.

Would you be using 2000 watts to power a 40 watt portable computer:eek:? If it does not require line of sight then an omni-directional broadcast would be extremely inefficient. If line of sight then you would constanly be aiming your electronics and getting interference when somebody walks in between the sending and receiving units.

14. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

:eek: That's freaking awesome!

If only Nikola Tesla could be alive today....errr 2050.

The concept and execution of wireless electricity is rather simple. We can do it right now but only in small amounts.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Do you really believe that?

This article is a mess.