Intel Delaying CPUs and Chipsets on Weak Economy

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Axemantitan, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

"Intel has recently decided to postpone its next-generation mainstream CPU Lynnfield along with the P55 chipset to the end of August or the beginning of September this year, and may postpone them to an even later time depending on the market situation, according to sources at motherboard makers."

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090115PD218.html

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd cite a lack of competition as well as another source of delaying. Core 2 + Intel Series 4 motherboards are on top for the majority of users.

3. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Interesting. I wonder if this has any bearing on the delay in the Gainestown processors?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm leaning toward doubtful since said system does require a larger investment of capital on the user's end then making mainstream Havendale/Lynnfield.

My question just how much faster are i7 mainstream processors compared to the current Core 2 mainstream under $200?

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I wish AMD would get off its butt. We got the Core Duo, which was a leap in terms of "performance per watt" over the Pentium 4, because AMD was kicking Intel's butt.

Now, AMD has lagged behind and Intel is reacting just like they did with the Pentium 4, the "it's good enough" theory of hardware.

6. MacTraveller macrumors regular

7. Axemantitan thread starter macrumors 6502

My children will be collecting Social Security before Intel dies. This isn't an anti-Intel thread; it is news which may relate to Apple's product line.