"Intel demos Xeon E5 due for Mac Pro": does this not scream 'Mac Pro not dead'?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by malch, Nov 15, 2011.

1. malch macrumors 6502

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

"Intel demos Xeon E5 due for *insert workstation name here*"

It is not that hard.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It's just as good a source as the ones that come up with "Mac Pro is dead".

4. MJL macrumors 6502a

The pro is dead except you prefer to stick your head in the sand and not look at the facts.

Apple has always been a mediocre computer company in which the computers were in a fancy (innovative?) housing but nothing special. They only had a runaway success with the iPod and iTunes. Then the phone manufacturers started to put mp3 players in the phone so Apple had to start with the iPhone. Already there is hardly any real development (if any) going on with the iPods and sales are dropping off.

Mobile phone companies have had their day and then disappeared into oblivion - it is a very dangerpus area to be in (Motorola, Nokia, RIM amongst others) and I do not see it being any different with Apple.

Don't forget that Apple before has dropped support overnight for other products, e.g. the Xserve and from a business perspective I have never approved of Apple being in the company - there is no advance warning what they'll be releasing next and then there is no legacy support. Having been left in the lurge before not again.

And iPads are only a toy - for any serious work you'll need a keyboard and a mouse and by that time a real laptop is compacter and more battery friendly. Then you just have to close the lid and be ready to take it with you, no packing up of many accesories to do or special precautions (screen?).

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It's an Intel story with Apple added in for hits.

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I know. The level of journalism was the same.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

This truly is a disturbing universe. :rolleyes:

8. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Historical facts do not prove conjecture. I see where they are headed but the Pro is alive until Apple officially kills it. Just as product is a rumor until Apple actually releases it. The web is such a scheme breeding ground I choose to wait for actual Apple statements.

9. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

Nice article, though I see the last paragraph about the Mac Pro as speculation by the reporter rather than an announcement from Intel.

10. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Didn't mean to quote you, I know you get it :)

11. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Yea because we have proof that it is dead.

We know nothing of Apple's plans. Period.

Facts we do actually have:

The LGA2011 Consumer CPUs have just been released.
    The LGA2011 Server CPUs (E5) have not been released.
    No other workstation provider has shipped SB-E workstations.

Until all those have been satisfied for at least a month or two then the Mac Pro is NOT DEAD. Simples.

12. Kimmo macrumors member

Pretty good facts Concorde. :D

While the OP's article might not "scream" that the MP won't be discontinued, it offers a good basis to conclude that the "death" speculation is just that until Xeon E5 processors are actually available.

13. buckwheat.phd macrumors newbie

"not scream mac not dead "?

Wait - that's a double negative. Translated for logic that would read "scream mac dead"

WTF

14. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

15. iRCL macrumors 6502

Frankly, this entire post is sound, except it does not mention the story of Apple's extremely compelling software work such as OS X, iOS, and so on.

I specifically +100 the no Apple in the company notion. I don't even understand why Mac Pro exists or why every person on this board seems to own one except for the reason of putting it in their sig

I'm sure this will be downvoted like the post I'm quoting but it is the truth

16. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You mean like all the new desktop graphics drivers they continue to write that will not be available in the iMac?

:D This must be why. You can put it in your sig too. It is the internet. No one will know and you can stop with the emasculated comments. Some users make their entire living off Apple. Those users tend to buy Mac Pro's for the longevity, airflow, options, and power. No reason indeed. You must never need PCI expansion.

17. gpat macrumors 6502a

Why should Mac Pro die? Apple makes money from it, and does not have any product able to replace it, so it remains, period.

18. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Yes, it's the truth that you don't understand the Mac Pro.

Thankfully the existence of things world is not limited to what you can understand.

19. goMac, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

goMac macrumors 603

I specifically +100 the no Apple in the company notion. I don't even understand why Macbook Pro exists or why every person on this board seems to own one except for the reason of putting it in their sig

I'm sure this will be downvoted like the post I'm quoting but it is the truth

Edit: (This was sarcasm.)

20. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Your truth does not equal the truth. How naive and opinionated can you be?

21. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Apple is a bastard for not saying anything. We deserve more respect!

22. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Not happening.

The Xserve was discontinued because no one gave a crap. Apple's software and hardware for the server market, whilst I'm sure very functional and powerful, have the disadvantages of not being scalable and being limited to one platform.. nay, one machine (for serious purposes). As of speaking Apple have two choices for OS X Server, either licence it out, or kill it, because right now it has no purpose for being.

The Mac Pro however has a target audience. Apple knows all too well the importance of third party developers after the 1980's (the Mac and it's GUI lost to DOS because the Mac had no software to speak of), because ultimately the success of an operating system depends on the applications that run on it. An operating system literally operates your system, as well as providing built in functionality it also must provide a strong development environment to be successful.

Now I'm not suggesting everyone needs a Mac Pro to publish an app like Caffeine or ActionPotato to the App Store, but big apps: Photoshop, Office, AutoCad, Mathematica, you're looking at a Mac Pro. If Apple want to keep picking up new marketshare, they need a lot of software on their system and they need a professional workstation for their developers. Hell even if they only sell 10,000 a year (made up number before anyone quotes me), those 10,000 machines are enabling the development of applications that bring in billions in Mac sales, and billions in iPhone and iPad sales.

So you certainly may see less hype around the Mac Pro, you might see Apple crank up the prices on it again, you might see less updates, but that machine is not going away because Apple are not fecking stupid.

23. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

The original rumor that started all this said that their sources told them that Apple was simply evaluating the mac pro line, not that it was dead or about to be dead. Well they should "evaluate" the line. Why not? So we wait and see what they come up with.

24. goMac macrumors 603

I don't think a re-evaluation is necessarily a bad thing. There are certain things hurting sales, like the lack of a mid $1500-$2000 low end model. Put a Mac Pro in that price range and they'd sell a lot more. It's on the upper end of prosumer tower prices, but high enough that it won't canibalize the iMac, while low enough to put it on the radar of most performance oriented consumers. The G4 found a lot of customers in this space, with the iMac selling more around the $1000-$1500 mark.

25. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Seems only a few people saw it like this. It was also someone overhearing "salesmen" questioning it or some such nonsense. I mean we had "Mac Pro coming soon" rumours in the summer that people were sure of because it was too long since the Mac Pro had been updated (ignoring how the whole situation works).