Intel Discusses Mobile Nehalem. Quad Core Notebooks Coming Next Month.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
ok, do i get this right:

quad core MBP's are possible with a 2.2GHz Quadcore Chip at 35W already this fall?:eek:

end of 2009 we will get most likely Quadcore Nehalem notebooks with integrated memory controller and GPU on the nehalem CPU?

the GPU core in the CPU is far better than the integrated chips today but not as good as dedicated GPU's. That makes it likely apple uses them because they often go for midrange GPU's anyway. Would be fine with me.:)

Wow, this is moving faster than i thought.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
"Turbo Mode"? Seriously? Surely I can't be the only person who immediately thinks of this?

(aka the pointless "Slow"/"Very Slow" button)

riversky

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2005
This is such a bad time right now for people who need to buy a a laptop like me. With new announcements everyday about new laptops, I really have no idea when to buy.
You buy when you need to. There is no sense waiting if a current model offers you more power than what you really need. If you always want the latest tech you will never make a purchase because in 3-6 months it will be faster/larger/better.

There is always something better coming along after you buy anytime, no matter what.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
Damn... hardware ages so fast. My 1 and so year old macbook will feel inadequate in not too long :(
Only in your own mind. Does your MBP do everything you want it to do satisfactorily? Yes? Is there anything the new ones will do that you need to do no but can't? Not really?

Then I guess it's perfectly adequate ;)

Hm.

This has got me thinking.... I've been waiting for the new Montevina MBPs, but maybe I should wait for the first Nehalems... would be hard to wait that long though. =\

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
www.melodicmovement.com
I just want them to release that 17" (or 18" 16:9 aspect ratio) MacBook Pro redesigned to fit more FW800 ports an eSATA port, two HDDs, and the same wicked sweet GFX cards that multimedia books on the other side are getting now.

They can keep SLI and crossfire, just give me the good $h!t Apple, the real power house laptop.
Maybe they'll come out with a MacBook Beast: 17" hi-res, thicker to accomodate 8 GB RAM, quad-core processors, bigger battery, and better thermal control. It wouldn't be the most portable thing in the world, but I could see video pros wanting it for onsite stuff.

Although I'm not saying there's a very good chance of this ;)

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
"Turbo Mode"? Seriously? Surely I can't be the only person who immediately thinks of this?

(aka the pointless "Slow"/"Very Slow" button)
lol I totally remember that. I think the "Turbo Mode" thing had to do with power if I remember correctly (turning off a core to consume less power).

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Visit site
lol I totally remember that. I think the "Turbo Mode" thing had to do with power if I remember correctly (turning off a core to consume less power).
No. It's purpose was to slow the system down so you can run games that used loops to determine timing. Don't laugh, it wasn't always easy to use OS/Bios timers and a lot of people took the "execute 'n' statements in a loop" shortcut.

Press Turbo to run WordPerfect quickly. Turn Turbo off so you game wouldn't run at strange speeds.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the MBP only has core duo. So anything said about dual-core doesn't matter.
I'm not sure what you are talking about.

The MBP does use a dual core processor. It is the intel core2 duo using santa rosa chipset. Everyone is hoping for an update and redesign with the new montevina chipset.

Tibbar

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2007
@Stridder44

Yeah, my old PC from 1995 (Pentium 75 MHz) had a Turbo button. Could never get it to do anything, though. Probably didn't have an 80's DOS game to test it on with bad timing.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Ah, the good old days. When you actually had the choice to run your 25MHz PC at 16MHz. Nowadays it's all about getting forcibly frog-marched along at 3.0GHz, like it or not...

This Turbo Mode thing actually sounds not unlike the old Turbo Button; in both cases, for some reason, and contrary to what the name suggests, your processing power gets switched downwards.

odaiwai

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2006
Hong Kong
www.diaspoir.net
Maybe they'll come out with a MacBook Beast: 17" hi-res, thicker to accomodate 8 GB RAM, quad-core processors, bigger battery, and better thermal control. It wouldn't be the most portable thing in the world, but I could see video pros wanting it for onsite stuff.

Although I'm not saying there's a very good chance of this ;)
I agree that the MBP 17" will get the Quads first. As you say: this is the video pro machine, the mobile studio, the "edit the video on the way to where you can upload it" machine.

I can easily see a BTO version of the 17": HD 1920x1200 screen, quad core@2.4Ghz, possibly support for 8GB, 750GB to 1TB drive, or maybe e-sata.

wadejc85

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
PA
www.tailfincomics.com
You buy when you need to. There is no sense waiting if a current model offers you more power than what you really need. If you always want the latest tech you will never make a purchase because in 3-6 months it will be faster/larger/better.

There is always something better coming along after you buy anytime, no matter what.
I agree with you, but I'm still waiting. The only reason I'm waiting is to see if they redesign it.

(I'm hoping for a new design. :p)

diamond.g

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2007
Virginia
But one needs to look at it from the mindset of a consumer who is not up-to-speed on current CPU technologies and may still be ingrained with the "MHz Myth" that more clockspeed is faster.

So if Apple's website shows a 2.27GHz Quad-Core iMac at $2199 and a 3.06GHz Dual-Core at $1999, those people will wonder why the most expensive iMac is slower then the cheaper one and just buy the cheaper one, assuming it is actually the "best" because it has a higher clock-speed. Or if both are the same price (since the CPUs are currently priced the same), they'll take the 3.06GHz model because it's faster, so it must therefore be better.

By offering it as a BTO option, Apple can use the web - or an Apple associate - to explain why a slower quad-core will more quickly complete some tasks then a faster dual-core and help the customer make an informed decision as to which one to get.

I also noted that the first notebook quad-core will be 2.4GHz and not 2.53GHz as the QX9300 was expected to be. I wonder if that means Intel is still having problems getting the TDP's down? The QX9300 was supposed to be 45W at 2.53GHZ, but if they had to underclock it, I wonder if that means the Q9100 will be more like 2GHz instead of 2.27GHz to maintain the 35W TDP?
Cores are the new Ghz race. Once Intel starts pushing more cores as the norm, people will start to see clock speed in a different way.

One could say the same problem existed with the MacPro. When they went to 4 cores the clock speed wasn't comparable to the 2 core models (note really it means dual quad versus dual dual).
Besides the quad core models can keep up with the dual core models in speed, you just have to throw TDP out the window. A lot of that has to do with none of the Intel quads are native quads. So they have to do some extra work to get the TDP down, whereas Nehalem Core i7 is built from the ground up as a quad core part so TDP has already been factored in. All dual core parts from that stand point will have similar TDP as they will just be quad core parts with cores disabled (or broken).

mdntcallr

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2000
I just want them to release that 17" (or 18" 16:9 aspect ratio) MacBook Pro redesigned to fit more FW800 ports an eSATA port, two HDDs, and the same wicked sweet GFX cards that multimedia books on the other side are getting now.

They can keep SLI and crossfire, just give me the good $h!t Apple, the real power house laptop.
Don't forget having a blu-ray reading superdrive. alot of us want that also, with option for a bd burning superdrive.

CWallace

macrumors 604
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
www.studioghibli.net
Cores are the new Ghz race. Once Intel starts pushing more cores as the norm, people will start to see clock speed in a different way.
I agree. And Snow Leopard will only help drive the point home.

I expect Apple to benefit from Intel's advertising push for quad-core CPUs. It's one area Intel has no competition (I do not believe AMD offers a mobile quad-core CPU) so they'll want to work hard to get people to buy it because the ASPs are so much higher.

And high quad-core CPU prices actually favor Apple since they own two-thirds of the over $2000 retail notebook market. People walking in to buy a $3000 quad-core MacBook Pro won't bat an eyelash - they've been paying nearly that for years. On the flip side, someone used to $1500 Dells is going to be really surprised when they find out the need to spend twice that for a quad-core model...

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Please put a quad core in the next MBP Apple!!! I wouldn't feel so bad about having that when Nehalem comes then.

Don

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I agree that the MBP 17" will get the Quads first. As you say: this is the video pro machine, the mobile studio, the "edit the video on the way to where you can upload it" machine.

I can easily see a BTO version of the 17": HD 1920x1200 screen, quad core@2.4Ghz, possibly support for 8GB, 750GB to 1TB drive, or maybe e-sata.
I honestly can't see the MBP's getting quad core first. I could be completly wrong here but I suspect that it will be the iMacs first as it's easier to keep them cool.

isauce

macrumors regular
May 21, 2008
It will not be in the next MBP, most likely after this revision in Sept. So six months. :D