Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Apart from being 64 bit Processors and spending less power, what are the main prospects of Merom? Are we going to just see some bumps to the standard processing speeds, i.e. 2.20GHz + etc, or are there other significant benefits? I'm not too concerned about battery power and the 64-Bit issue seems debatable. Opinions?

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
From what I've heard, it operates 20% faster at the same wattage. Also there will not be a "Core Solo", instead the Dual 1.66Ghz will take it's price mark, shifting everything down in price.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Do you think the current line of Yonah processors will be completely discontinued, or priced down? I'm really trying to evaluate whether or not I should wait to buy a Merom MacBook...

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
XP Defector said:
Do you think the current line of Yonah processors will be completely discontinued, or priced down? I'm really trying to evaluate whether or not I should wait to buy a Merom MacBook...

Wow, lots of new members with interesting names after the Boot Camp announcement. :p

I think Merom is basically a replacement for Yonah. But it's only 20% and the battery life will be unchanged. 64-bit isn't important just yet. So wait if you can, otherwise, don't worry about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.