Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TedReminder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
Picked up a used 20" iMac intel duo on ebay. It seems pretty slow compared to my 17" iMac. After it runs a while it starts into a click-click-whrrrrr-buzzz, and repeats every 5 seconds or so. Any suggestions? Is it going to die or can a good Apple tech get it right? Also, could this get expensive?
Trying to get the wife off windows and on a mac.
Thanks,
Ted

Jozone

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Sounds like a dead hard drive, if you have a firewire cable handy boot the other iMac into target disc mode and then from the 20'' hold option at boot and run from the other machine (with the machines linked via firewire).. If this solves the issue it is most likely going to be a hard drive replacement which on iMacs is not trivial :(

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
Sounds like a dead hard drive, if you have a firewire cable handy boot the other iMac into target disc mode and then from the 20'' hold option at boot and run from the other machine (with the machines linked via firewire).. If this solves the issue it is most likely going to be a hard drive replacement which on iMacs is not trivial :(

http://bit.ly/16v3B

^
Instructions. But not for the faint hearted.

mstam

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
Replacing the HD is very easy. You need a T6 and T8 torx, medium Philips screw driver, rubber cement (office depot), some regular tape, a sharp hobby knife and some 1" EMI shielding tape.

In stead of peeling the shielding tape off of the monitor, cut it with the knife around the far bottom edges. When you put the monitor back on, use the EMI tape to reconstruct the shielding.

Also, after removing the bottom casing screws and lifting it, the top is held by 2 mounts with levers. With a regular screwdriver you can lift the levers and the top will come right of.

A 640GB or 1TB Western Digital Black Edition will work very fine.

TedReminder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
Took it to the Apple store. They ran some tests and said the OS was wankered. They re-installed the OS. Got it home and it can't find the printer. Tried loading the printer driver cd and it won't load. Look in system profiler and it says I don't have a cd drive. Weird. Could the click-click-whrrrrr-buzzzz have been the cd drive going south??
Ted

Jozone

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Took it to the Apple store. They ran some tests and said the OS was wankered. They re-installed the OS. Got it home and it can't find the printer. Tried loading the printer driver cd and it won't load. Look in system profiler and it says I don't have a cd drive. Weird. Could the click-click-whrrrrr-buzzzz have been the cd drive going south??
Ted
When the superdrive in my intel imac died it would spin up the cds, make that strange almost "crunching" sound, then eject, cant remember if it showed up in the profiler.

TedReminder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
Problem solved.. :) I called the guy I got it from off ebay. He had another one just like it with warranty into 2011. Couple hours later he drove over and swapped. The replacement is running very good. :apple:
Ted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.