Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brettanderson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
One of the features of santa rosa, is intel dynamic acceleration. When a program is only using one core and the other core is idle, IDA will overclock the active core. In the case of the MBP, the 2.4 GHz will overclock to 2.6 GHz and the 2.2 GHz will overclock to 2.4 GHz.

Is there a real world situation where this actually occurs? Has anyone observed IDA in action on a SR MBP?

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Thats pretty neat. I'd like to see it demonstrated as well.

I saw a video once where one of the Intel founders said the software world is always several years behind them in technology...I believe it.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Thats pretty neat. I'd like to see it demonstrated as well.

I saw a video once where one of the Intel founders said the software world is always several years behind them in technology...I believe it.

yea there are so many things that we dont know about yet. 3D burning disks holding terabytes of info being one of those.. i read that somewhere. seems pretty dooable to me.

otispunkmeyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Middlesbrough UK
Don't supposed it will be used until Leopard. Wouldn't it use software to trigger it ?

i believe this feature should work regardless of OS or software.

the logic (either in the cpu or chipset) is supposed to be able to detect when one cores being thrashed whilst the other remains idle....and overclock the busy core. its a hardware feature not a software one.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
well in windows (yes I know) my dual cores shunt all the lesser work (overheads) onto the other core when one core is being thrashed (well it actually sets both cores at around 50% but you get the idea). The overall speed of the single core encoded program is about 5-10% higher than if it was on a single core cpu of the same clock.

So say a 2.2Ghz dual core would be similar to a 2.4Ghz single core in single core operations.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
the MBP does that!?!?!?!?! is that from SR onwards?? ive never heard of this before...

Not sure if it only uses 1 core, but I heard something along those lines for the SR ones.

If it's plugged in, Expose is smooth and animations are smooth, but on battery Expose is sluggish etc.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Not sure if it only uses 1 core, but I heard something along those lines for the SR ones.

If it's plugged in, Expose is smooth and animations are smooth, but on battery Expose is sluggish etc.

that reminds me of a program.. it tells you your GHZ thingo, mines currently at 1GHZ... but im not sure how accurate it is. im running off power (battery unplugged) and CPU is at 100% constantly (folding)... interesting..

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston

The older models definitely does not. It's easy to test though, someone with an SR MBP simply unplug it and run activity monitor, and open the "CPU usage" window. It shows the per core utilization.

that reminds me of a program.. it tells you your GHZ thingo, mines currently at 1GHZ... but im not sure how accurate it is. im running off power (battery unplugged) and CPU is at 100% constantly (folding)... interesting..

If you take out the battery, your 'Book will only run at 1 ghz... There is some logic behind it, in that it prevents the computer from running at a higher speed than the powersupply can deliver. Sounds far fetched, but there you go.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
The older models definitely does not. It's easy to test though, someone with an SR MBP simply unplug it and run activity monitor, and open the "CPU usage" window. It shows the per core utilization.

I loaded up Activity Monitor (I assume its the 2 black boxes with the red and green squares that are the cores?). Both boxes have red and green squares moving across, so I guess that means both cores are still active..?

Anyhow, Expose is really sluggish (although it can be smooth occasionally) compared to being on mains power.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
If you take out the battery, your 'Book will only run at 1 ghz... There is some logic behind it, in that it prevents the computer from running at a higher speed than the powersupply can deliver. Sounds far fetched, but there you go.

no sorry i muddled it up.. running off the power is like the same as running with your battery fully charged/charging.. i was just wondering why mine says its going at 1GHZ. i dont think it includes NICE processes in this calculation tho.
i really have very little idea about this tho.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I loaded up Activity Monitor (I assume its the 2 black boxes with the red and green squares that are the cores?). Both boxes have red and green squares moving across, so I guess that means both cores are still active..?

Anyhow, Expose is really sluggish (although it can be smooth occasionally) compared to being on mains power.

yes still active, but not necessarily running at full capacity/clock

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston

Strange... Exposé runs fluently on my CD MBP on or off battery. But yes, both your cores should be running. You can check the frequency using among others the ministat2 widget.

Andrew275

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2007
Both cores definitely continue to run when on battery power. I've assumed that the drivers are scaling back the GPU clock when on battery though, and that's why Expose is sluggish. If you activative Expose several times in a row, it becomes fast, which I assume is because it has scaled the GPU back up.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Strange... Exposé runs fluently on my CD MBP on or off battery. But yes, both your cores should be running. You can check the frequency using among others the ministat2 widget.

i downloaded mini watsi.. pushed my mac to the limit and it still stayed on 1.0ghz the whole time. could this be because i dont have my battery in?? hhmm i dont see why it would be..

whats more important.. have i been missing out on power all along!!! hahaha :(

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
i downloaded mini watsi.. pushed my mac to the limit and it still stayed on 1.0ghz the whole time. could this be because i dont have my battery in?? hhmm i dont see why it would be..

whats more important.. have i been missing out on power all along!!! hahaha :(

As I already said, if you take out the battery, your CPU is scaled back to 1 ghz. I read somewhere (don't remember where), that Apples reasoning for this is that it prevents the computer from running at a higher speed than the powersupply can deliver (does not sound plausible, I know). However, because of this build-in limitation, running your mbp without its battery in is not the same as running your mbp plugged-in with a charged battery.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
As I already said, if you take out the battery, your CPU is scaled back to 1 ghz. I read somewhere (don't remember where), that Apples reasoning for this is that it prevents the computer from running at a higher speed than the powersupply can deliver (does not sound plausible, I know). However, because of this build-in limitation, running your mbp without its battery in is not the same as running your mbp plugged-in with a charged battery.

farout ive been dying all along!!!! ok thanks so much for telling me this. ill just have to have my laptop running at 75 constantly :p

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
So my 2.0GHz Macbook is more powerful - when on the battery - than any given Santa Rosa Macbook Pro?? :eek:

Bit of a turn off to a potential trader-upper. Hm...

Nah. I think as already said, it is to do with power consumption to make sure the MBP doesn't draw anymore power by accident from the battery that wouldn't matter if it was on mains power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.