Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

indecisiveKid

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
New article claiming it will be delayed. Clearly problems with these chips, does this affect iMacs? Think I'm going to purchase a Sandy bridge iMac today

http://mobile.pcmag.com/device2/art.../www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400765,00.asp

----------

Think this relates to mobile but can't bring myself to think there won't be problems with desktops chips. 2.7 quad for me I think. Unless someone can convince me there will be know delay & chips will be fine.

I'll rather have non redesign iMac with no problems than a redesign model with problems.

Last edited:

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Supposed to only be the Dual Core versions of the chips.
Quad Cores apparently not affected

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004

The 9to5 Mac quote doesn't say if it is specific processors or all.

Also the reason of excess inventory applies to lower i3 and i5 used in budget 300-600 PCs used by Dell HP etc.

Intel has been making these new CPUs since last November, so they probably want to sell some.

Intel could sell the high end chips to Apple for $1000+ computers and not affect the PC market.

People buying $300-$600 PCs probably aren't keeping up with Intel chip releases.

I see no logical reason to delay the high end chips to Apple or any company wanting to sell $1000+ computers.

I'd like Ivy Bridge ASAP of course, and Intel delaying chips to Apple for the $2200 computer that I'm going to buy doesn't make sense for Intel or Apple. Since their delay of 2 months may cause me a delay of 2 months after their release bc I spent my $2200 on something else in my life.

Many of Apple's sales peak at refreshes, or soon thereafter in the folowing quarter, or holidays aka November/December. Delaying Ivy Bridge to Apple would/could piss off Apple causing to switch the MacBook Air to ARM or aMD. Between processors and chipsets, that's way over $ 1Billion in revenue to Intel.

If Apple is considering (I doubt) moving to Intel chips for the iOS line, the possible sales losses by pissing off Apple are huge.

I think a lot of these articles are Intel PR helping the PC industry by getting people wanting to buy new PCs in the next 2 months not to wait 4 months, and buy now instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.