Intel G3 SSD's Update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vexious, Feb 4, 2011.

  1. vexious macrumors member

    Jul 16, 2008
    Has anyone heard anything about an update with the G3's?
  2. Avenger macrumors 6502a

    Sep 20, 2007
    I don't think it's looking good. Google for "Intel 510 SSD". It seems Intel is coming out with SSD's with a new controller instead of the G3 ones right now. Though they will be super fast.
  3. vexious thread starter macrumors member

    Jul 16, 2008
    I'm confused... should I just get one now then and say screw it? My macbook obv isnt Sata III
  4. mulo macrumors 68020


    Aug 22, 2010
    Behind you
    personally I wouldn't.
    While your MBP doesn't have sata III the current drives cant saturate a sata II connection when it comes to write, barely read.
    More importantly flash storage becomes cheaper and cheaper everyday. Furthermore the G3s will use 25nm flash rather then 32nm so it will be faster, but also cheaper.
  5. Avenger macrumors 6502a

    Sep 20, 2007
    I haven't seen any stats on how this new Intel 510 series will perform under SATA II. We may have to just wait for reviews. All those news articles state that they are coming out this month. Note that these are not G3 drives, just enthusiast level SSD's at 34nm.
  6. intelgrande macrumors member

    Jul 6, 2010
    The more Intel pushes back the G3s, the more likely I am to wait until the new Sandforce drives on 25 nm come out. I know they will probably be post-Intel release, but I can live with an extra month or two wait (as opposed to half a year if Intel launched the G3s when they were originally supposed to arrive).
  7. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 29, 2011
    I'm so ready for the next generation SSDs to come out. I will be in the market for one by this summer and am anxious to see what Intel and OWC bring to the table.
  8. JKK photography macrumors regular

    JKK photography

    Jul 14, 2009
    Same here. I don't really need re speed of the Sandforce drives, but the longer Intel makes me wait the more likely I'll just wait a bit longer for one of the Sandforce drives.
  9. elpmas macrumors 68000


    Sep 9, 2009
    Where the fresh snow don't go.
    i'm waiting also...cmon! if this ssd doesn't come out by the time ipad2 comes out...ipad2 will take my mooooney! >_<

Share This Page