Intel G3 SSD's Update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vexious, Feb 4, 2011.

1. vexious macrumors member

Has anyone heard anything about an update with the G3's?

2. Avenger macrumors 6502

I don't think it's looking good. Google for "Intel 510 SSD". It seems Intel is coming out with SSD's with a new controller instead of the G3 ones right now. Though they will be super fast.

3. vexious thread starter macrumors member

I'm confused... should I just get one now then and say screw it? My macbook obv isnt Sata III

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

personally I wouldn't.
    While your MBP doesn't have sata III the current drives cant saturate a sata II connection when it comes to write, barely read.
    More importantly flash storage becomes cheaper and cheaper everyday. Furthermore the G3s will use 25nm flash rather then 32nm so it will be faster, but also cheaper.

5. Avenger macrumors 6502

I haven't seen any stats on how this new Intel 510 series will perform under SATA II. We may have to just wait for reviews. All those news articles state that they are coming out this month. Note that these are not G3 drives, just enthusiast level SSD's at 34nm.

6. intelgrande macrumors member

The more Intel pushes back the G3s, the more likely I am to wait until the new Sandforce drives on 25 nm come out. I know they will probably be post-Intel release, but I can live with an extra month or two wait (as opposed to half a year if Intel launched the G3s when they were originally supposed to arrive).

7. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I'm so ready for the next generation SSDs to come out. I will be in the market for one by this summer and am anxious to see what Intel and OWC bring to the table.

8. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

Same here. I don't really need re speed of the Sandforce drives, but the longer Intel makes me wait the more likely I'll just wait a bit longer for one of the Sandforce drives.

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

i'm waiting also...cmon! if this ssd doesn't come out by the time ipad2 comes out...ipad2 will take my mooooney! >_<