Intel Gen 1 SSD DEAD!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by superock, Jan 2, 2010.

1. superock macrumors newbie

I bought 2 Dane-Elec Rebranded Gen 1 Intel SSD's from Micro Center for my Mac Pro.
    Have been running them in Raid 0 as my startup drive for about 1 month.
    Yesterday one of them quit responding.
    Disk Utility doesn't see it and it wont mount.
    Disk Warrior sees only "Intel SSD Bootloader". I booted into Winblows 7 and used the Intel Toolbox and it lists the same with 0GB capacity.
    What are my Options? Since the 2 were in a Raid 0 is my data gone? or can it be retrieved by a disk repair service?
    This sucks- Sometimes my Mac won't even boot with the drives inserted as they spike a processor. Right now as i'm typing one processor is at 100% as I guess it's trying to read the drive.
    Thanks for any Reply's for help!
    Early 2008 Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8 Core Mac OSX 10.6.2

2. Nano2k macrumors regular

Raid 0 if a disk crashes you loose everything.

SSD are so fast I don't see the point of using Raid 0. Increased performance, ok but at some point it's a bit over the top.

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

There are some threads in the Mac Pro forum about 10.6.2 not working well with RAID volumes and Intel SSD's.

It is likely that your data is gone. RAID 0 is a risky setup if you don't have a backup.

4. superock thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a backup, but it's about 3 weeks old, i'm not REALLY stupid, just a little stupid. I would just like to get my x-mas pics back from my iPhoto Library.

5. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

RAID 0 is a bad idea, unless you are disciplined about backup. Instead of a single point of failure with a normal HD you have triple points of failure (2 x HD + controller). If any one goes bad, your data is gone (even if a controller fails, there's no guarantee another one of the same kind will resurrect your data).

If you have a failure, your data is almost certainly hosed.