Intel GMA X4500

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacSA, Apr 19, 2008.

1. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

When do you think this integrated graphics chip set will show up in the the MacBook and Mac Mini? I believe it's supposed to be released in the next month or two along with the Montevina chipset? Apple seem pretty slow at adopting new technology in their lower end hardware, so we might be waiting a while for it.:(

2. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

hmm... did apple wait to install the x3100 over the 950 after it became available? i wasn't really following apple back then, so i'm uncertain.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Apple is adopting the tech as the supply becomes available, because of the sheer number of units Apple consumes when they switch over it takes awhile to trickle down.

Otherwise Apple might Ship the iMac/MacBook/MacBook Pro all at once -- but that might mean 3 million units in 4-6 weeks from Intel from a product in being ramped up.

So Apple has to do things in stages, since there are almost always delays during ramp up.

If Intel moves quick, we get them quick, otherwise MacBook Pro -> iMacs -> MacBooks get them in stages. Nobody knows what in going on with the Mini, and the MBA with its custom chipset package is on another schedule.

4. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

The mini is in desperate need of an all over update. I guess you'd expect to see the x4500 update in the next Macbook revision? It would will be great once the integrated chips start becoming more powerful and supporting modern technologies, pixel shaders etc.

5. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

It took at least months for the Macbook to get the last update. (Possibly more like a year? I can't remember for sure...might just have been six months.)

Either way, remember that if you need a GPU, you need a GPU. Integrated stinks, especially from Intel. Moving from a 9 year old GPU equivalent to an 8 year old GPU won't help you-really-in anything that needs a GPU.

6. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

No it's not. Or rather not all the time.
    Up until Feb'08, MB lagged 6 months on average, compared to MBP, which in turn was lagging within "bearable" 1 month after general release.

Are you saying Dell, HP or Sony dealing on a smaller scale than Apple?
    Or even likes of ASUS, who sometimes might have it available even before general availability.

Yeah, that's probably the case, up to the point where Intel cuts supplies of recent chips, to push latest ones.
    We actually might have witnessed it with speedy MB release alongside MBP (Penryn CPU).
    If it's true already, that's not Apple being generous, but rather submissive to Intel.

7. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

That's true. Sad reality of being slave to a bitten fruit.:rolleyes:

Still thanks to Intel we have some "real" innovation going on ;) or being pushed upon us :p
    And your still ancient "new" GPU performing even 50% faster, is a better thing than bashing around deaf god of bitten fruit :D
    (I mean it still gives me lots of fun, but I consider it otherwise useless now :))

8. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Hee hee :D

I don't mind if Intel pushes Apple around if it means they're forced to update their hardware months earlier :D

9. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Hee hee :D

I don't mind if Intel pushes Apple around if it means they're forced to update their hardware months earlier :D

Still...G5 Powerbook Next Tuesday™!

10. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Yeah PPC forevaa ;))))
    I'm still amazed how my roommate's PB runs Leopard :eek::cool:

11. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

To be honest. Give us a low end dedicated graphics chip. I'm fed up with this integrated stuff, yeh it's good for HD and video playback, blah blah, but I want to play one or two games on my macbook over 640x480 res!

12. illidian macrumors 6502

The next MacBook update will include the Montevina chipset, which the x4500 is on. There will be no Montevina chipsets with the old x3100.

Montevina will be available on the 14th, but it could be awhile until Apple gets enough to release a new product - especially in prime college season where Apple excels.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But all of those companies can get by with a new product introduction in whatever quantity Intel ships, they add product to existing lines.

They don't require a confirmed supply of 750k-1 million units a month to ship all their lines at once. With that huge initial surge for initial production before the announcement.

So yes, they can all deal on a much smaller scale than Apple and shipping before general availability might not be millions of units a month before everyone else. Might mean 10k-100k unit batches.