Intel Hades Canyon coming this spring. Is this the new Mac mini platform?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by got2go, Mar 29, 2018.

1. got2go macrumors member

2. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

No, not on any level is that the same target as the Mac Mini.

Hell's Canyon is a small powerful gaming PC that starts at $800 with no RAM, storage, or OS. It uses a lot of power and runs hot.

Mac Mini starts at $500 with everything you need and is an efficient low end computer.

3. treekram macrumors 68000

The Intel Hades Canyon is what Mac Mini users who want quad-core + dGPU in a NUC form factor (although Hades Canyon is stretching that) would like to see in a future Mini. Waiting for Apple to deliver this, IMO, is likely to be futile. I would suggest a different computer (Mac or not) which may or may not require a different OS. The upcoming Mac Pro may be interesting - at a steep price, no doubt.

4. sublunar macrumors 6502a

It'll never be in a low cost Mac Mini platform - I think that the Mini as we know it will be based around the 15w CPUs going forward - the i5-8250U is looking an obvious contender.

However, on the assumption that we're about to see a modular Mac Pro at some point and some people think it starts at $4k there should be some research on for the $2.5k headless market that is currently covered by the base 2013 Mac Pro. Surely Apple would be happy with people spending serious iMac level money on a product?

Would it be inconceivable to see an Apple version of this in a more elegantly designed case with nice cooling? I just doubt that it will come with the RAM and storage slots that home brew users would hope for. The i5-8305G from the Hades Canyon would be a great basis and people would be looking to compare with the 15" MacBook Pro that this hardware ends up going into.

If sold at Mac Pro prices I'd expect such slots to exist but be pre-filled with 16Gb RAM as SODIMMS and at least 512Gb SSD on a PCIe M.2 slot. That way any replacement of RAM or storage is for maintenance purposes for pro users rather than servicing people hoping to avoid Apple tax with a bare bones unit and their own upgrades.

If Apple did this they'd be free to really go to town with the modular Mac Pro in terms of pro-level Xeons etc.

Mind you, Apple studiously ignored the Skull Canyon before this...

5. MarkJames68 macrumors 6502

MarkJames68

Doubt seriously the i5 - more likely the i3-8130U.

6. sublunar macrumors 6502a

Big call that - it would be the first use of an i3 in a Mac since they used a desktop version in a 2010 iMac - Apple have never used mobile i3 CPUs.

Not sure the marketing team would like to explain the use of the i3 without a price cut either.

7. MarkJames68, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018

MarkJames68 macrumors 6502

MarkJames68

Dual core 4 thread - the i5 U class chip is quad core. As we are talking about a mini they would just talk about faster performance, less power, etc.

Plus the new i3 gets a turbo now. I bet it will bench quite a bit better than the i5-4250U in the base 2014 model. THAT’S what Apple will talk about.