Intel HD 4000 laggy in Windows 7 (NOT gaming)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by keogh, Feb 25, 2013.

1. keogh macrumors member

keogh

Howdy all,

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing general overall lag in their desktop on Windows 7 (same would occur on Windows 8 I would assume).

I got a Mac Mini 2.3GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Crucial M4 SSD and everything is nice and snappy in OS X. But in Windows 7 its just laggy. The main example I can give is when resizing windows (be it Chrome, Firefox, Windows explorer etc) its just lags when you do it and you see ghosting around the window as you do it. Sometimes the genie effect of minimising/maximising windows lags a bit too, just a general overall performance issue.

It's nothing majorly drastic that makes it unusable, its just quite annoying.

I'm not referring to any gaming lags here, I don't do PC gaming so couldn't care less about that, but it shouldn't lag in Windows desktop right?

I have the latest HD 4000 drivers from intel.com also, so nothing I can do there... but I am sensing its just a driver issue more than anything else.

Interested to know if anyone has this problem.

ta

2. keogh thread starter macrumors member

keogh

Can anyone at least with a Intel HD 4000 and Windows 7 tell me if their desktop seems "snappy" at least? Just try resizing some windows fast, does it lag and ghost at all? Or is this just me?

3. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

I haven't noticed anything like this on my 2012 Mac mini. I would uninstall the driver you got from Intel's website and then (re)install the Boot Camp drivers - you can get them via Boot Camp Assistant. Let us know if that fixes the problem.

4. keogh thread starter macrumors member

keogh

Thanks Stooby, but I've already tried that and it made no difference at all sadly!

5. keogh thread starter macrumors member

keogh

So if you resize your windows quite fast in Win7 you don't get noticeable lag around the outside. Like, if I resize quickly its like the contents of the window lag behind it catching up with the border and I get ugly stretching and colouring around the outside.

And changing between open programs in the taskbar can lag a bit, it just doesn't feel as snappy as it should be. CPU sits at 1% most the time and I only have 2GB of my 16GB ram wired so it can't be that.

I also have pretty much all the same apps and tools running on my Mac mini Win7 as I do on my 27" iMac, and there is zero lag there.

I even knocked the resolution down to 1024x768 to see if it was struggling with 2560x1440 but it still did it.

6. Quantum3 macrumors newbie

I think it's just a drivers problem, specifically, from the graphics card. Have you updated your Graphics Card inside Windows?

7. keogh thread starter macrumors member

keogh

You mean updated my graphics drivers from in Windows? If so, then yeah, I updated the driver to the latest via Windows update initially, then I rolled back using the driver in the Bootcamp assistant. That made no difference so I then grabbed the latest driver direct from Intel and lobbed that back on. All from in Windows or course.

8. Quantum3 macrumors newbie

Yes, I meant that. Sorry for my english, it's my second language. You can try the basic visual theme of windows, I mean, disabling the eye candy looking of windows. It may be that the video card cannot work with the Aero thing of Windows, which makes the transparencies and blur effects on windows. I still think it's a video card problem. If disabling the eye candy features from windows makes your system faster, then it was a Drivers problem.

Ø3 :)

9. keogh thread starter macrumors member

keogh

I disabled all the eye candy and made it ugly, and it improved the performance quite a bit. I to think its a driver issue, I mean if the HD 4000 can't handle a bit of eye candy at 1024x768 then we are all doomed!

Btw, there is nothing wrong with your English!