Intel HD 4000 on ULV CPUs - slower than on normal TDP CPUs

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by theSeb, Jun 1, 2012.

1. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5878/...ation-realtime-igpu-clocks-on-ulv-vs-quadcore

2. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

That's sad. I've read the full Anandtech article and it looks like the improvements from HD 3000 to HD 4000 in ULV isn't that much. I'm gonna wait and see if Apple puts a discrete GPU in the 13" Pro. But with the space and thermal management constraints, I won't hold my breath. Where the heck is MSI's eGPU solution?

3. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

Vapourware. :mad:

4. bogatyr macrumors 65816

It's the same for HD 3000 ULV vs regular voltage chips. Nothing new.

5. EmaDaCuz macrumors regular

6. jgc macrumors regular

All these reports coming out on IB/HD4000 are making me highly consider saving $200 and going with a refurb Sandy Bridge Air. Seems like the increase in performance isn't measuring up to what a lot of people were expecting. USB 3.0 is one of the only features at this point that's making me wait. Really hoping they announce Airs at WWDC cause I hate waiting for IB knowing I might be going with SB anyways.

7. calvol macrumors 6502a

Given the relatively lackluster HD-4000 performance, I think I'll just wait for Haswell to upgrade my 2010 13" Air and instead, buy an Ivy-Mini with a discrete GPU later this summer.

8. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Well since I'm not silly enough to expect gaming performance out of such a thin laptop with ULV processors, it's not a big deal (and frankly, no surprise).

Someday integrated GPUs will be up to gamer's standards, but for now, they're definitely just geared toward the common consumer (youtube, netflix, Facebook games, etc). Certainly more than enough for all that.

I guess the only option is MBP? Hopefully the 2012 13in MBP will have a dedicated GPU too.

Of course, there're some other ultrabooks out there that pack dedicated GPUs, so don't get mad at Intel, get mad at Apple.

9. thewoz macrumors member

Who's the moron who thought a ULV processor for an ultra thin laptop would deliver any sort of gaming performance? It's made to deliver good everyday performance and better battery life.

----------

Sure. They'll put an nvidia card in an 11" MacBook Air and I'll see you all back here complaining that the battery drains in 2 hours.

10. The-Pro macrumors 65816

And that the fan is that 6000rpm all the time :D

11. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

lol yeah, that's true. But my Sony Z 3 years ago had a switch to switch between integrated and dedicated GPUs, so that could be an option? Perhaps just be on AC when having a gaming sesh and turning on the dedicated GPU?

But I agree, Nvidia/AMD need to come up with some ULV solutions catered to the ultrabook category that will not only outperform integrated solutions, but stay battery conscious as well.

12. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

As long as it can do 1080p video without skipping a beat, I'm good. I cannot wait for my new baby to be announced!

13. jsolares macrumors 6502a

The i5 Ivy Bridge beats the i7 Sandy Bridge from what i've read, not sure if only in CPU or also in GPU.

I already have a Sandy Bridge Air so i'll be staying with it until haswell if not broadwell, but i wouldn't knock the IB Airs until they've been thoroughly benchmarked.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well that shouldn't be a problem seeing QuickSync is built into the CPU; as long as the software support is there.

15. anotherdave macrumors newbie

There's a good article over at Real World Tech looking at the Ivy Bridge graphics. It looks like a real step up from Sandy Bridge.

I'd be interested to know how many applications use the OpenCL api.

16. jgc macrumors regular

I ended up being all talk...ordered the IB MBA. The graphics alone weren't enough for me but all of the other incremental upgrades + 8 gb RAM sealed the deal.

17. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

Actually, I see that the Magmax TB enclosure is now available, but it does not support any graphics cards yet.

http://www.magma.com/thunderbolt.asp

RRP is $975. You might as well get a separate gaming desktop.

----------

Unfortunately there aren't any encoders in OSX that actually use QuickSync, despite the fact that QuickSync was available in Sandy Bridge already. There are two or three Windows rippers though. The speed difference when encoding with QuickSync is quite substantial and it would be nice to see it in OSX.

----------

My 2011 MBA can do 1080p without skipping a beat. My 2009 13" MBP can do it too.

18. currahee2100 macrumors member

They are comparing a quad core to a dual core. The comparison is grossly unfair.