Intel HD vs Nvidia GPU? Adobe CS5

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bb147, Jul 27, 2011.

1. bb147 macrumors newbie

I have a question for the macrumors community.. I bought the 11" macbook air (late 2010) when it first came out. Base model with 64GB SSD, C2D, and upgraded to 4GB of ram.

I use this computer 100% for school, which is, Office, outlook, internet, and Adobe Design Premium CS5 (illustrator, indesign, photoshop, dreamweaver).

The majority of my time spent on it is within Adobe programs, I don't play any games, I rarely do video editing on it as I have a nice powerful desktop at home where I do all my video/audio work with Premiere and Sound Booth.

My question is... is it worth it for me to upgrade to the 11" MBA i7? A couple reasons why i'm thinking about it is the larger disk space will help me a lot, I'm barely getting by with the 64GB. The extra CPU power would also be nice in those applications I use, I notice a huge choke when I'm working with large file sizes.

Also, I know Photoshop especially uses a lot of GPU Hardware Acceleration, since the Intel HD graphics isn't as good as the Nvidia that I have on my current MBA, is this even a worthwhile upgrade? The i7 will definitely help but will it help enough to outweigh the slower Intel graphics?

The only thing I really dislike about the new MBA is the backlit keyboard, Intel Graphics, and the fact that its going to cost me $$$$$! Any comments or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

2. hereyago macrumors member

Well, all I can tell you is that i7 is far superior than the c2duos. But I have no experience with photoshop or with nvidia :(