Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Sorry about the other post with the poll and this one also. I originally meant for the post to be a non-poll one, oops. :)

The link I wanted to share was this one: Click here

A visual demonstration/explanation of Hyper Threading vs. Dual-Core, and then combined. Intel has used both in various chips. None of the Intel-based Macs use HyperThreading (HT) that I know of, but the Core Duo chips use Dual-Core technology. This affects anyone using an Intel-based Mac. In the future, perhaps we will see both technologies used in Intel-based Macs.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
IMHO there is actually the possibility that HT will slow the Core processors down instead of speeding it up, but don't quote me on it.

erikamsterdam

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2006
amsterdam
I have had some nasty experiences with HT recently, where an application thought a HT processor was dual core (cos it presents itself as such apparently) and crashed all the time because apparently you cannot address HT as dual core. Was on a PC so disabling HT in the BIOS fixed it.
Also for example Avid (video editing) has problems with HT. I regard HT as some bad compromise cheapo wanna be dual core. Glad Apple went for the real thang.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
in some things it slow down everything in others it will speed them up.

HT is taking multiple treads and giving them to the CPU differently. Using different parts of the CPU that is being unused by another.

Right now the clock speed of the daul core maybe to low to really take advatage of it and putting it in there will do more harm that good adding in the extra steps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.