Intel i7 Turbo Boost, disable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pavia, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Pavia macrumors regular

I'm currently using some 32-bit programs, that makes it turbo boost when I really don't need it. I'm rather new to Mac, and I have no idea what open firmware is, or how it works, or if there's even open firmware in MacBook Pro 2010.
    My question is: How do I disable (and later enable) intel turbo boost technology? :eek:

2. andrew086 macrumors regular

hmm.. I'm not sure how but I think that the turbo boost is enabled in the bios and cannot be changed with software... I don't know how to change the bios on a Mac computer, though.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As far as I can tell, you cannot. Mac don't have BIOS nor open EFI so you can't change stuff like this, not sure can you with a PC. Anyway, why would you do this?

4. Pavia thread starter macrumors regular

Because it heats it up way more, than when it's not boosted. And it doesn't require 3.06ghz to run.

A little side question. I installed windows 7 x86 earlier on my MacBook Pro, and I was running several programs so I looked in the task manager under perfomance, and it showed activity on all 4 threads?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How do you know Turbo is enabled? It doesn't do it if there is no need to. If your app ain't maxing out the CPU usage, it won't, it's designed to provide better performance in single threaded apps when needed. Also, it shouldn't heat up more as it has been designed to do that only if the system is relatively good.

6. Pavia thread starter macrumors regular

I installed some application in windows made by Intel that shows the current frequency of the CPU. It only requires 2ghz as recommended settings.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

8. Pavia thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks though, but I'd rather not use something like that :3 Especially when I'm not that familiar with Mac, OS X, EFI/Whatever :D

9. prss14 macrumors regular

prss14

If you are worried about heat then just increase your fan speed or or lower the temperature threshold with smcFanControl.

10. seb-opp macrumors 6502

Recommended settings only mean you get adequate performance to run the app, whereas minimum settings give you just enough to get it working. If the app could do with more power, and the computer can provide it, the app will get extra power.

maybe you could answer these questions:

1- How do you know turbo boost is being activated?
    2- What apps are you using, which allegedly activate turbo boost?
    3- When these apps are running, what is the CPU usage shown in Activity Monitor?

Reason I ask is because as far as I know, turbo boost is not something that the user has access to, and Macbooks generally run hot, so how do you know turbo boost is on?

11. Pavia thread starter macrumors regular

That's the strange thing! It only shows between 15 and 27% CPU usage.
    I use Intel's Turbo Boost widget (windows :()

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

TMonitor exists under Windows. I wonder if there's an option in the CHUD Tools for Turbo Boost now.

13. Yamcha macrumors 68000

You can with a PC.. thats one of the benefits of having a bios, you can change things like the cpu/memory speed, aswell as voltage changes.. but having a bios is the primary reason PC's take a while to boot.. Otherwise they would boot as fast as Macs do if not faster..