Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Right now as it stands, the iBooks and Powerbooks dont have too much seperation between the two. The iBooks are very powerful machines for the Money, and it seems the Powerbooks are just a slight step ahead for a tremendous amout of more money.

Do you think we will see the the price/performance ratio finally work out and see either the Powerbooks get alot better than iBooks?

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Yeah, you'll probably have dual core powerbooks and single core ibooks.
But currently, ibooks and powerbooks give much lower performance per dollar than wintel laptops. I think that will change with x86 also. ibooks used to be great value say 4 years ago.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yes they may once again have two completely different chipsets, which may mean greater product differences.

Hopefully it isn't something silly like Intel Integrated Graphics vs. ATI/Nvidia chip.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I agree we will see the laptops become much better value with better graphics cards and processor's for a cheaper price, this will especially apply to the powerbook as apple will try and make them as good as they can also trying to make them significantly better than ibooks in order to attract power users,

Shadow

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
dmw007 said:
I agree, integrated graphics should not be put inside any future Mac.

I really hope not, but since developer macs use onboard graphics 915 chipset and a lot of cheaper laptops use these, I wouldn't be surprised if the ibook did have onboard graphics.:rolleyes:

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
MacRumorUser said:
I really hope not, but since developer macs use onboard graphics 915 chipset and a lot of cheaper laptops use these, I wouldn't be surprised if the ibook did have onboard graphics.:rolleyes:

If using integrated graphics still lets Core Image work like it should and can push the iBook prices down a hundred dollars or so, then it might be worth it. A $700-$800 iBook would probably work well in the market, especially for classrooms. :D

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
physics_gopher said:
If using integrated graphics still lets Core Image work like it should and can push the iBook prices down a hundred dollars or so, then it might be worth it. A $700-$800 iBook would probably work well in the market, especially for classrooms. :D

From what I've heard, the latest integrated graphics is actually pretty decent. Certainly CI compatible. I'm still kinda skeptical though... my previous experiences with integrated graphics systems have been... less than inspiring.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
MacRumorUser said:
I think everyone wants the iBook to remain a mid-range offering with decent graphics.

And an all new rugged little entry level machine slot in next to the Mac Mini for those asking for a cheap Apple portable -- aka, business, education, and cheap ass consumers. ;)

But some of the rumors make it seem like the iBook will slide down to take that spot.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Hmm, they should have 2 ibook models one with smaller screen and intel graphics.....;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.