Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Intel iBooks, Video iPod, Digital Entertainment in April?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Macworld.co.uk reports on Needham & Co analyst comments about what they expect from Apple in the coming months.

While much of the information appears speculative, the analyst claims that a video iPod will indeed arrive soon:

According to our sources, the screen on the video iPod will occupy the entire front of the current iPod with a touch-activated scroll wheel. Assuming the same form factor as the current iPod, this move will increase the size of the screen three-fold.

This corresponds to recent rumors that a touch-screen iPod is in the works. This technology would also tie in recently revealed Gesture user-interface patents from Apple. The same analyst also predicted an "actual" video iPod in the first half of this year. While some fan-created video iPod images have recently surfaced, we have received some confirmation that actual prototypes of similar devices have been seen at Apple.

Meanwhile, he revives rumors of the Mac mini home media server:

"Our sources indicate that this product was not finished in time for Macworld"

The Mac mini as a digital hub was first rumored back in November 2005. The specs at that time included Front Row 2.0, "TiVo-Killer" DVR, iPod Dock and a 3.5" hard drive. The target date for this media appliance remains in question.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Vancouver
Wooo spiffy. Now I'm going hold on and wait for a mac mini and a newer video ipod.

my pc just broke and i think the mac mini rumored there is pretty nice.

Comment

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
So. UT
I can't imagine how greasy the screen would get if it had the same sheen as the current (and past) crop of iPods. Yuck. Interesting idea though. May be a boon to photographers for storing photos and viewing them on site.

Comment

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Try as I might I just cant wrap my head around a "real video iPod". I can totally see a home media center from the mac mini though.

I can only really see this new iPod as a Newton replacement.

I can only imagine the bitching and moaning of the scratches, my god the scratches!

PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Comment

jrhone

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
fanbrain said:
I can't imagine how greasy the screen would get if it had the same sheen as the current (and past) crop of iPods. Yuck. Interesting idea though. May be a boon to photographers for storing photos and viewing them on site.

not really....the screen would be too small....about the same size as the screen on the camera...it probably wouldnt be compatible with tha many many RAW formats, and most photogs that need this kinda thing carry a powerbook....

Comment

GrannySmith_G5

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2003
oith
Clearly if a touch screen ipod is introduced it will not have the same screen as the current ipods. touch screens are inherently made to be touched. I have followed Apple rumors long enough to just know that this is real and will be happening. Since the cat is out of the bag I expect to hear a consistent trickle of details before the release.

Comment

Roads0

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2005
Standing on the Moon
"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new." -Steve Jobs.

These rumors are just proof of Apple's dedication to the consumer. Stop complaining that you just got your iPod. We are lucky to have such a company.

The media center Mac mini would be amazing. Then we could all through our Tivos out cause Tivo has abandoned the Mac user by not supplying Tivo2go to Macs. It would be awesome if it had a progressive scan dvd player seperate from the computer also.

Comment

craigatkinson

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
jrhone said:
not really....the screen would be too small....about the same size as the screen on the camera...it probably wouldnt be compatible with tha many many RAW formats, and most photogs that need this kinda thing carry a powerbook....

Most photographers shoot in JPEG. It's a waste of time shooting in RAW. If it could display JPEG then it would be a great tool for semi to pro photographers. The only photographers who would need a RAW format would be commercial photographers. Carrying around a laptop to a photo shoot is not always convenient.

Comment

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
jrhone said:

What kind of camera do u use that has a 3.5" widescreen display?

Comment

revfife

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
In a far country
Don't see Jobs putting out a "touch screen iPod", just thinking of the people who would gripe and moan about scratches would be enough to keep me from doing it.

As for media center/mini...I don't see it either. Mini is design to keep costs down down down. A media center/mini would cost easily close to 1000 so who would buy. Thats figuring a large hd(min 160), core duo chip, high ram content, ir, front row, bluetooth, wireless (would need n I would think), dl superdrive. Just don't see it in a $600 box and don't see people paying close to $1000 for a mini. (Again Jobs would get more gripes for having something that "costs too much")

Otherwise...bring on the book! :D

Comment

dansgil

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Dr. Dastardly said:
I can only really see this new iPod as a Newton replacement.

I agree with you on this. I just don't think a touch screen iPod would be very practical. Often, I navigate my iPod by touch as the click wheel's texture allows me to do so. Unless this new iPod had an included remote, it wouldn't be practical to use.

I would love for Apple to introduce a PDA. I would finally be able to abandon my Palm.

-DG

Comment

nataku

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
The Demilitarized Zone
I'd kill for a Mac Mini media server. Though this completely draws away from the original purpose of the Mac Mini, to attract non-mac users to use macs.

Does the name "MacMedia" sound nice? :D nahhh.. didn't think so.

Comment

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
craigatkinson said:
Most photographers shoot in JPEG. It's a waste of time shooting in RAW.
dude, you're obviously NOT a photographer. neither am i, but i am a designer & the more i learn about RAW, the more i know that anyone that calls themselves a photographer will shoot RAW.

Comment

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
revfife said:
Don't see Jobs putting out a "touch screen iPod", just thinking of the people who would gripe and moan about scratches would be enough to keep me from doing it.
Which would only be out numbered by the amount of people who would like to buy the new iPod video touch screen. It's going to happen, just wait and see.

Comment

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
Roads0 said:
"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new." -Steve Jobs.

These rumors are just proof of Apple's dedication to the consumer. Stop complaining that you just got your iPod. We are lucky to have such a company.

I feel precisely the same way. I also expect Apple to offer, if not a revamped, an updated slate of videos offered in iTMS.

I was thinking about this last night, and something came to me: I think I would buy certain episodes of Newsradio from iTMS even though it's been off the air for several years. Apple was wise to add the "classic TV shows" to iTMS, and I think it could grow to rival TV networks if they drag their feet too much. Why wouldn't a company like NBC want to keep making money (even if it's not great money) off of Newsradio when it's sitting more or less dormant? I imagine a certain number of years have to pass before a show would become available, but better to move now while people have some memory of the series.

Comment

Damek

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
New York City, USA
"TiVo-Killer" DVR

Regarding "TiVo-Killer" DVR

I just don't see it. Unless they've bought out EyeTV's technology, which just doesn't seem to have happened unless they're faking us out (EyeTV just released new software), or they've out-developed EyeTV, which also just doesn't seem possible. Nope, I just don't see it.

Comment

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
ehhh

fanbrain said:

Pros carry a PB with them on site so that the customer can see the image full screen. It also enables the photographer to do some minor editing (color correction, sticking in a product so the customer can get some idea of how it looks...) which an Ipod couldn't do (And if it could I would give a few ribs for it).
As for the guy who said most people shoot in JPEG....no. RAW is what pros use. From the Cannon 1Ds Mark II to the 5D to the 20D, Sinar 22megapixel backings, and high end Nikons all shoot RAW. I suppose those who use little digi cams for taking myspace pics shoot in JPEG, but anything higher than that? RAW.

My 3g 15GB is fried, but my PSP will hold me over till the new Ipod comes out, I can't wait.

Comment

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
video ipod seems like a given, but a mac mini media center with DVR? the media center bit i can buy (and would), but the DVR thing would kill itunes video sales. why would someone pay $1.99 for a video when they can just "tivo" it?

if the mini media center rears its head i think we'll see something that provides tivo-esque convenience but entirely unlike tivo itself. my fantasy island hope is itunes offers all first run content concurrent with their airings. you pay X dollars a month and indicate the shows you want to watch and they're streamed/downloaded to your media center overnight so they're instantly ready for you when you wake up the next day.

Comment

Avicdar

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2004
Toronto
craigatkinson said:
Most photographers shoot in JPEG. It's a waste of time shooting in RAW. If it could display JPEG then it would be a great tool for semi to pro photographers. The only photographers who would need a RAW format would be commercial photographers. Carrying around a laptop to a photo shoot is not always convenient.

RAW is the most popular shooting format for photographers from semi pro all the way up the chain. There is simply no better way to get maximum control of image quality.

People with little digicams and such will have no use for RAW. Your statement about commercial photographers being the only ones interested in RAW is probably a few years too late.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.