Intel iMac 2 GHz Core Duo, doesn't support 802.11n?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sparced, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Sparced macrumors regular

Sparced

I tried installing the AirMac 802.11n Enabler and got that error. In the network utility it says. Wireless Network Adapter (802.11 a/b/g)

I'm shocked my iMac doesn't support it. Bought it day of the announcement January 2006 and the Apple TV May 2007.

Just got a new Netgear router today and only one MacBook in my house will make use of the extra capabilities. ****! :eek:

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yeah, the original iMacs did not have 802.11n, same with the first MacBook Pros.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I believe the first iMac to have this was the late 2006 24" iMac. That said, I'm not overly impressed with N. It's, meh, IMO. If I need speed, Gigabit is the way to go. (after FW800)

Usually over wifi - G is more than good enough for my needs.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i find neither to my liking, sure wireless is good for internet browsing.. but for other things (such as streaming BluRay movies, playing high quality music etc) both arent that great. ethernet all the way :)

OP im sorry to hear that you cannot get 'N'. like me you cant even upgrade the wireless card to support 'N', sad isnt it :(

6. Sparced thread starter macrumors regular

Sparced

I was hoping switching to N would cause interference with my neighbours Wi-Fi and pee them off. :)

Learning about no Mac Mini support at all wasn't much of a suprise, bought one about 16 months ago.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ok wow.. the interference would be minimal, if even existant. error checking these days is getting more and more efficient so you'll be right.

8. Sparced thread starter macrumors regular

Sparced

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

10. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I have had pretty good luck with this adapter on my 2006 iMac.

The only issue with it is the software. It uses the RALink software which needs to be shut down before your system will shut down. Other than that, it's been flawless for me.

I have an Airport Extreme router BTW.