Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
Don't get me wrong, my new intel iMac is extremely quiet but when you put your ear to it i don't hear a nice swoosh of the fans blowing air, i hear an irritating constant buzz. The more i sit in front of my iMac the more i can hear it. I can even hear in when im in bed (its in my bedroom)

Can everybody else hear this on there intel iMacs?

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
It's a known buzz in the Mac community. It is only on a few G5 (with iSight) and Intel iMacs, all 20" models. Most make a ffffff sound, very few just damn buzz!

All the G5 iMacs I have found or asked others with this problem that have the buzz, all the SN's end in TAR. Those that are not TAR models do not have the buzz. Some TAR models do not have the buzz as well. Havn't heard enough Intel iMac SN's to make up any conclusions with those.

Apple will not fix the problem, however my local Apple Store have said they think it is a problem and will try to fix it (replace the fan). I still need to take it back to get it fixed.

Thread that is useful: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/175145/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.