Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

designed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Finland
So far I've had no problems with burning either cds or dvds but now something came up.

I was trying to burn this disc image with Toast 7 and it apparently finished ok to an old HP DVD+RW disc. Then I tried to burn it to a Imation DVD+R and it has failed everytime at around 5-7mins left, saying "HARDWARE ERROR, 0x03". Also, it doesn't want to burn the 8x disc as 8x, only does 2x.

I was just wondering are the Imation discs that bad or is there something wrong with my SuperDrive? Has anyone info what Sense Code 0x03 stands for?

Thanks already :)

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2004
Los Angeles.
My friend had this happen with Imation discs as well.... however it was a CD.

He had a G5 iMac, and I have an Intel, it gave him that error, but mine was able to burn it fine. It seemed to just be a problem with the media.

Macer

macrumors regular
May 2, 2006
This has happed to me with 8x dvd-rs. You could try updating the firmware on the dvd burner to burn at 8x. Maybe it was just down to the discs being ****, well not **** but you know what i mean.

designed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Finland
Macer said:
This has happed to me with 8x dvd-rs. You could try updating the firmware on the dvd burner to burn at 8x. Maybe it was just down to the discs being ****, well not **** but you know what i mean.

Can I update the firmware on an internal SuperDrive? Do I just run off to the Matsushita-website to search for one or...?

designed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Finland
Apparently the Imation discs aren't being loved by Intel Macs with Matshita drives, my MacBook fails with the same discs. It finishes the burn but fails during verification and the discs isn't throughoutly readable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.