Intel Imac audio Jack is possessed, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by huntaaar, Aug 20, 2008.

1. huntaaar macrumors newbie

The audio out on my Imac appears to be broken.

There is a loud noise (not static more electrical) that comes out the speakers whenever the imac is connected.

this continues after the Imac is turned off

I have tested the cable and stereo and it is 100 the port

My system is running slow as hell, its only got 512 RAM so i know not to expect too much but even just browsing and using Word causes all sorts of problems.

power leakage issue or something???

Any ideas please let me know

Thanks

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

What are the specs of your iMac?
    Does it continue if the iMac is disconnected from power? Have you always had this problem or is it a new development?

RAM is CHEAP. Get some more, again what is the specs of the machine so we can help you figure out what type to get. 512 would choke most any system running Tiger or sometimes even Panther. I don't know if Leopard will run on 512...I know I wouldn't try.

3. huntaaar thread starter macrumors newbie

its a 1.83 GHz Intel core 2 Duo with 512 MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I am going ot upgrade it but it cant be a ram issue, surely?

I'll check the power now

4. huntaaar thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it still makes the noise when the power is disconnected

5. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

It's gotta be the speakers then. If there's no power going to the mac, then the port can't possibly be powered therefore can emit no interference or noise of any kind. Someone can correct me if my logic is wrong.

No, it wouldn't be a RAM issue, but you're killing your mac experience if you have that little bit of ram on a machine that has so much potential...and like i said, RAM is cheap.

Early 2006 iMac (2gb max) http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac/Intel_Core_Duo

Late 2006 iMac (4gb max) http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac/Intel_Core_2_Duo You said Core2Duo so I would assume this one, but I thought i'd post the other link just in case you mistyped. but you can get 4gb for about 100 bucks... That's pretty sweet.

6. huntaaar thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for the RAM advice

in terms of the noise though it just cant be the speakers.

Its an amp and it plays my Ipod fine but when you connect the Ipod to the Imac and then the amp the problem happens.

VERY strange