Intel iMac core duo hard drive or?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by truz, Feb 24, 2010.

1. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

So.. My first Intel iMac 20" core duo (2006 model, first Intel shipped) is failing to boot. At first it would boot into the hard drive but it had a lag to everything you did. I rebooted to the leopard cd and did a disk repair and it failed, said the drive was corrupted and needed to be formatted.

I have yet to do the format as I was planning on replacing the hard drive.

Any other ideas of what this might be? hard drive worth replacing or is it something else?

2. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

How's the WD3200AAKS for an imac upgrade?

Anyone know what they were shipping in the first gen Intel iMac?

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Any 3.5" Serial ATA hard drive should work perfectly in that system. It's all on how much capacity you want, and if you're willing to pay more for faster rotation speeds and/or bigger buffer. (Both have slight improvements to perceived speed.)

If you get an OS up and running with access to the current drive (whether it means formatting and reinstalling on the current drive, or just connecting the current drive via a USB adapter once you get a new drive,) try running SMART Utility to look at the drive's diagnostic data.

4. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

I currently can't boot into the machine or cd. I keep getting the grey screen showing its loading.. (with a loading bar below) from there it just shuts itself down.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You said earlier that you had run Disk Utility from the restore disks. :confused: Based on that, a failing hard drive sounds like a pretty reasonable diagnosis. However, if it won't boot to the DVD either, your problems may be more significant.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes i concur with that prognosis.

my DVD drive is dead from my 2006 MBP, maybe the same has happened with the iMac? (as well as the hdd). i sure it isnt something more!

7. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Your iMac is stuck in the middle of a failed firmware update.

The progress bar under the spinning wheel shows that.

Try unplugging from wall power, push the power button to drain any capacitors, wait 30 seconds.

Then plug it in and reset your NVRAM by pressing the power button then immediately hold down Command, Option, P, and R. The system should bong once, wait a few seconds, then bong again. When it bongs again, you can let go.

Then let it run. See if that cancels the firmware update attempt.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Oh, good call. I didn't have a chance to check out the video earlier.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Wirelessly posted (nokia e63: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE63-1/100.21.110; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

nope neithers seems the likely cause :)