Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agangi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
I have a Intel IMAC. The optical drive is going back so I bought an external. The sales rep at Best Buy told me the LG GP10 Portable Super Multi Drive would work on my IMAC. My computer is not seeing the drive so is not working for me. The CD in the box is for windows so I am at a loss on how to get this item to work. The drive box even has the mac logo on it,

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
What have you tried to get the drive to work?

I briefly owned this drive (returned it because the extra cost, imo, didn't justify the minor speed boost over the internal drive), and had no issues with it in regards to compatibility. I just plugged in the y-USB connector into two available USB ports and disk utility recognized it within a couple of seconds. Do you have enough bus power available to power the drive? I know that if I tried plugging both the optical and my portable HDD, that one of them wouldn't power up all the way and thus not be recognized by OSX.

You shouldn't need to install any software for this drive to work. I believe the Windows CD comes with DVD playback software, not drivers (although I could be wrong there).

Bear in mind that OSX won't display the drive on your desktop unless there's a CD/DVD inside the drive. If you haven't, check disk utility to see if it displays the drive when plugged in. To check that the drive is indeed receiving enough power from the computer, try opening the drive tray via the button (not the little emergency hole on the drive). If it pops open, then I don't think it's a power issue...

agangi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
obsidian1200-thank you for the help!! I really appreciate it. I didn't know that it wouldn't show up on my desktop. I went to disk utilities and it was there. I put a dvd in and it is burning it as I type. OK- so I feel abit stupid also. LOL

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
obsidian1200-thank you for the help!! I really appreciate it. I didn't know that it wouldn't show up on my desktop. I went to disk utilities and it was there. I put a dvd in and it is burning it as I type. OK- so I feel abit stupid also. LOL

No problem :) Glad I could help.

zogh

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
not having any issues out of the box

I just piked up a unit due to the optical drive in my macbook pro refuses to burn DL DVD's.
So far burning a test DVD DL it is averaging 5x & working fine without the second "power" USB plug, which is good since the other port in on the opposite side of the laptop & being used by my mouse. And it reads & plays back without any issues in the onboard drive!;):):eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.