intel imac maintenance ??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by talkindrum, Jul 9, 2010.

1. talkindrum macrumors newbie

my intel imac is coming up on 3 years old, and ive never done any kind of
    maintenance on it.
    this is my first mac, is there anything i should do or need to know?
    it is still running pretty smooth, not slow or anything... just seems like i
    should empty the cache or something... is all that stuff really automatic on
    a mac?:confused:

2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Do a disk permission repair from time to time-- which you'll find under disk utility. That's about it.

3. Aktchi macrumors newbie

From your description, looks like you have enough memory. If less than 4GB, consider adding some. Consider Macaroni for running routine disk chores silently. If you are not making back-ups, start those. Otherwise keep liquids, dirt, food crumbs away; clean the lcd screen once in a while; and just enjoy it. :)

4. talkindrum thread starter macrumors newbie

hey,
    what does this do? is it like a hardrive test for bad sectors ?

5. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Sometimes you have to take it into the shop to have your hard drive rotated and RAM fluid replaced. :D

In all seriousness though, I don't there's much maintenance to do. I am not convinced about the permissions thing either. If it is working fine it will keep working fine. It is not like a PC that gets bogged down with spyware and stuff.

On my mac, I format it every once in a while just to get a clean start. But thats more of a preference thing than a maintenance or necessity.

Edit: I just reread some of the above posts. I agree with Aktchi, just clean the LCD once in a while (as needed) to get rid of dust and such. Use a microfiber cloth so you don't scratch it and don't use any abrasive cleaners. And of course, back up your important data. But that's not really a maintenance for your iMac thing as much as a common sense thing to do on every piece of computer equipment you own.