Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kavinderd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2009
I've been searching for a tutorial specific to the original intel imac 24inch plastic casing. I've only been able to find guides for the aluminum ones and the jan 2006 version.

I want to upgrade my hard drive, but don't want to mess it up, and would also like to know how to backup my hard drive and which hard drive i can/should get

so does anyone know of a link?

thanks a lot

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
The 24" white iMac is the same as the 20" model in terms of taking apart - iFixit have a guide that I've used in the past. That Jan 2006 version you found will work fine.

How to backup your HDD? If you're running Leopard/Snow Leopard, use Time Machine and an external drive to make a complete backup. As a replacement for an internal, I fitted my 24" iMac with a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black about a month ago and highly recommend them.

ClivePwned

macrumors member
May 25, 2009
I had my 20" HDD replaced by an Apple resellers rather than open myself. It was still under applecare then. It's the single thing that I dislike about iMacs- the lack of easy HDD replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.