Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joseph2166

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Well I've got the money to either buy the basic Macbook Pro, the 20"iMac (1gb ram and 256mb graphics), or the 17" iMac (1gb) and get maybe a digital camera later on.

Trouble is now I have to decide! Apart from the 'lack' of universal applications are there any disadvantages to either system? (apart from the obvious differences in speed, hard drive etc.) - any bugs in either system that are common?

I'll be using it for a mixture of mundane dvd-watching, word processing etc. and a bit of gaming (but not too much)... Any comments?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The MacBook Pro IS an Intel iMac. It's just portable. The only major decision is if you need a powerful portable or not.

airkarol

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
If you need the portability, get the MBP, otherwise, the iMac seems good for what you need.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Comes down to do you need the portablity of the MacBook Pro

if you don't the iMac is more bang for the Buck(which is offen the case in Desktop vs Laptop)

joseph2166

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Also I spose a consideration is the shipping dates - dya think it would be available in the Regent Street apple store? I supose i'll have to phone up tomorrow... it's also that the Macbook Pro looks sooo nice...

The portability isn't so much that I need to take it lots of places, but I've always much prefered using a computer away from a desk...
Is the Macbook Pro uncomfortably hot?

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
If you want portability get the Imac and then a refurb 12-inch ibook. I was trying to make the same decision and was overwhelmed by the amount of people with such a set-up. Youll have a better screen with the Imac and battery battery life with Ibook. If two systems is too much thought then get the MBPro and something to cool your lap down.

joseph2166

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
If I got a 17" iMac the MOST I could spend on an ibook would be £500.... I'll let you know what I do! thanks

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I don't really see the point of the iMac/iBook set-up unless you wanted a 12" laptop. You can't work on two computers at once, right? So why not use the MBP at the office and on the road? You will have the same power as the iMac at your desk and much faster laptop on the road.

joseph2166

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
goodpoint - but i'm sure my final decision will depend on what I feal like when I pop into the apple store... in weeks time I think I can get down there... you never know if they had one there I might swoop down and pick up a Macbook (damn silly name) - but if not I might just plug for the 20" iMac.... ONLY TIME WILL TELL

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
Jay42 said:
I don't really see the point of the iMac/iBook set-up unless you wanted a 12" laptop. You can't work on two computers at once, right? So why not use the MBP at the office and on the road? You will have the same power as the iMac at your desk and much faster laptop on the road.

I dont need the power on the road. I just need internet, DVD playing and itunes.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
I prefer having one computer, so a MacBook Pro is my next computer. The iMac and MacBook Pro are the same except for the portability issue. I would spend the extra money on the MacBook Pro. If you are bored at your desk, you can take your MBP to your living room and type on the couch while watching TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.