Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
Ok, so I have a C2D Macbook Pro and a C2D white iMac. On both machines, I connect to my (Comcast) Motorola SURFBoard modem through an older model 802.11g Airport. For the first 6 months or so that I had the iMac, everything worked great. I'm very happy with the speed, etc. My Macbook Pro continues to work very well with the Airport, but my iMac, it seems, has gone bad. The connection drops out constantly. I can connect to the internet, but after loading 3-4 web pages, I will suddenly get disconnected. I can connect again, but the process just repeats. I've looked all over the internet and tried everything--nothing works. I have tried changing encryption--I've even tried no encryption, but nothing has worked. Meanwhile, my Macbook Pro continues to be able to connect just fine.

I'm about ready to give up and go get a new Airport card for my iMac. Does anyone have any other ideas?

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
I just did a fresh install of 10.5.6, so I don't see how that could be the problem. My latest attempt was to restore the default settings on the Airport...let's see if that does anything.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
I just did a fresh install of 10.5.6, so I don't see how that could be the problem. My latest attempt was to restore the default settings on the Airport...let's see if that does anything.

That would be my suggestion.

Shadoh

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2009
I believe 10.5.6 is the problem. I used to have a iMac and when I first got it, wireless was perfect. Then after I did a software update to 10.5.6. I had the exact same problem as you.

Somehow try to get back down to 10.5.5 because 10.5.6 is known to have wifi issues.

Ps. Isn't it weird to have a "shado" and a "shadoh" responding to your thread haha

Sauerkraut

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2005
I've been having the same problem the last month or so. Both on my previous iMac G5 using Tiger and now my new Intel 2.8

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
I had the same problems, but resetting the SMC and PRAM solved it for me, at least for a while. I'm going to be calling AppleCare later today on another issue, and I'll ask them about this while I'm on the phone.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
For the record or anyone who searches for the same problem down the line, this seemed to fix things! It's strange that restoring the defaults to the base station fixed the problem with the iMac, even though it worked the whole time with the MacBook Pro. Oh Well, at least it's fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.