Intel iMac won't shut down

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bpcvet, Jan 4, 2008.

1. bpcvet macrumors newbie

I have been running Leopard no problems till 2 days ago. Now I cannot shut-down without turning the iMac off, otherwise I get a continuous grey spinning ball when trying to shut-down. (Have waited up to 1/2 hour before turning imac off via holding down off/on button)

The problem started when (I think) I did not properly eject a USB flash drive.

Some notes:

- I can start-up & run programs fine. (does start-up slower though)
    - tried repair permissions
    - now the backup external drive (USB) is not 'seen' by Time Machine
    - Tried unplugging all USB devices (printer, backup drive) & restarting: no luck
    - startup in safe mode (shift key down). Starts/runs fine but same spinning grey ball when trying to shutdown

Thoughts?

2. bpcvet thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - getting there!

Unplugging the backup drive & resetting the SMC results in the computer working fine again with shutdown working well. :)

However if I re-attach the backup drive it goes back to hanging on shut-down and the Time Machine program does not see the disc. (Neither does it appear on the desktop). Also Disc Utility hangs when trying to run it with the backup disc attached. :mad:

So I presume its a problem with time Machine or the backup disc? Where to from here: I can't get the iMac to see the backup disc.... should I take the backup disc and format it on my PC computer & retry??? I've have a quick browse through the Time Machine support articles on apple.com but can't find anything related to what I'm getting. I also tried turning off time machine and re-starting again to no avail: hangs on shutdown if external drive attached at any time.

MANY thanks for your advice... I suppose the worst scenario is getting/using another backup drive type or not using the backup/time machine :confused:

3. Blogger macrumors 6502

Did you try turning off Time Machine and removing the drive from Time machine's options, Then reformatting with Disk utility?

4. bpcvet thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes.. I turned off Time Machine, re-start etc.

Problem is the backup drive is not seen by the iMac..... not on desktop or Time Machine. Disk Utility hangs trying to run if backup drive plugged into USB.

And whenever backup drive plugged in get the shut-down hang again. Fixed if unplug backup drive & reset the SMC.

5. scanlanlee macrumors member

scanlanlee

did you do a upgrade or clean install?

I did an upgrade on my mini and it wouldn't shut down with anything connected to the USB ports, but i bit the bullet and did a completely clean install and all the problems went away.

Get the feeling that an upgrade leave a lot of code floating that Leoprd doesn't like.

Hope this helps,

6. bpcvet thread starter macrumors newbie

I did an upgrade for the install of Leopard.

2 options I'm thinking of:

1. Do you think if I did a reinstall that I could then access the backup disc to install the files etc. via Time Machine?

2. Or is it worth taking the backup drive and formatting it with my PC then seeing if the iMac recognises it?

If I go with option 1, what is the procedure? use the Leopard boot disc - instructions/best way? The hassle with option 1 is that It may still not recognise the backup drive and then I lose my files etc (though this isn't really a great issue as this is mainly the home machine for surfing the net and the kids play on it: no critical work files on it).

Advantage of option 2 if it works is then able to start time machine again and save my current set-up.

Note that other usb items work ok: printer, ipod etc... it's only when I connect the backup drive to the imac that the shut-down error occurs and the iMac does not 'see' the backup drive.

7. Blogger macrumors 6502

I think at this point, I'd try reformatting it with the PC. If the problem then persists, I'd try an archive and install.

There is one other possibility of course, and that's that the drive is just coincidentally failing. It's certainly not unheard of.

8. bpcvet thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep.. that's what I thought would be best to try.

I'll format/check the backup drive via my Pc when I get a chance today or tomorrow the see how it goes on the iMac & report back.

9. bpcvet thread starter macrumors newbie

Final update: all fixed!

It WAS the external HDD that was playing havoc with the iMac and causing the hang on shut-down.

I checked the external HDD on my PC & it caused the PC to reboot immediately I placed it into the USB port.

So I have now purchased a 500GB Western Digital MyBook Premium external HDD (which has usb and eSATA connections). It was recognised straight away and formatted for Time Machine & is backing up flawlessly.

Thanks for all the advice, especially about the SMC reset. :apple:

10. DanRomanchik macrumors newbie

I began experiencing the symptoms described here on my iMac this morning. I didn't do the SMC reset, but as a result of reading this article, I disconnected the IOmega drive I was using for Time Machine, and now operation seems to be back to normal. I'll be going out and getting a new hard drive tomorrow.

Thanks, guys.