Intel iMAC wont start - MONITOR BLANK !

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rickyamin, Jun 11, 2009.

1. rickyamin macrumors newbie

I have an Intel iMac, which is now out of warranty as I have had it for 16 months (and I was dumb enough not to get AppleCare). A few days back, my computer would not startup and everytime I hit the power button, I would hear some spinning noise but no chime from the iMAC. Yesterday, I tried it again and this time I heard the chime but the monitor did not start. I was then able to SSH into the MAC and see that it is indeed connected to the network and booted up, but the screen is still dead. Any ideas what I should do before the painful trip to the apple store ?

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Try holding down p+r+option+command:)apple:) while booting. Keep holding it and let it chime/restart a few times before releasing. Just resets the power manager.

Edit: Can you see anything on the display, even faintly? The backlight could have gone out but you can still see the display faintly.

3. rickyamin thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try that tonight when I get home. The monitor is just black, dont see anything even faint. Also, the chime is not consistent. The computer only chimes when I have unplugged the mac completely for a few hours and plug it back in.