Intel iMac wont turn on

Discussion in 'iMac' started by blueyedsamurai, Jun 28, 2013.

1. blueyedsamurai macrumors newbie

Not sure exactly why, there is no external damage so I'm assuming it was due to a power surge.

I've tried all the fixes offered on apples website, as well as trying different power outlets and i also used a different power cable but that also did not work.

I'm guessing its the power supply or logic board?

What hardware steps should I take to troubleshoot the problem?

thanks

2. zuri macrumors member

Hello blueyedsamurai

Is white LED on front bezel lid? Blinks ?

1. you turn on machine and it runs but LCD is still black, no chime sound / LED on front bezel blinks - logic board
    2. machine have no symptoms of running, no sound nor LED nor fans running - power supply

Your best shot is to try with another known-good power supply

3. blueyedsamurai thread starter macrumors newbie

There is no light on the front or sounds or anything that gives any sign that
    power is getting to the machine.

So new power supply? well that's good as i here the logic boards are pretty expensive

4. blueyedsamurai thread starter macrumors newbie

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011) Do you know the battery type I would need to get?

I sort of know but just want to make sure as they are rather expensive so don't want to order the wrong one.

thanks

5. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

I just had this issue the other day on a mid 2010 imac. Try leaving it unplugged for 12 to 24 hours (remove the female end from the back of the Mac). Then after it has sat a while, hold down the power button while plugging the female end of the cord back into the Mac. The other end of the cord needs to already be plugged into a power source.

If it turns on your fans will be on full RPM as you bypassed the SMC. Shut the computer down and then reset SMC and PRAM and you should be good to go.

6. blueyedsamurai thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeh I've tried that, Tried all of the fixes available. I get nothing from the Mac doesn't seem power is getting to it at all.

Does anyone know the exact battery type needed for this model?

7. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

"Does anyone know the exact battery type needed for this model?"

Some Macs of late seem to be using the "2032" size (looks like a quarter), but not sure about yours.

You might check either "ifixit.com" or "everymac.com". One of these sites probably lists the battery part number for your iMac.

I'm not sure how things work today, but back in the PowerPC days replacing a dead motherboard (PRAM) battery would often "revive" a Mac that otherwise seemed stone-cold-dead. Some folks even replaced entire motherboards, when it was only the battery that was the problem!

8. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Mid 2011? Your battery should be good for another three years approx. However, since you intend upon opening the Mac, I guess a new battery can't harm.

9. blueyedsamurai thread starter macrumors newbie

10. blueyedsamurai thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, I actually went on Ifixit last night and managed to figure out what part I needed. Have ordered the new Power supply so hopefully that fixes the issue.