Intel iMacs - 20" and 17"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joseph2166, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. joseph2166 macrumors 6502

    Jan 11, 2006
    I've got a difficult decision to make!

    Do I buy a 17" intel iMac in a few weeks or do I wait till late march ish till i have the money (hopefuly!) for a 20" with 256mb graphics... basicaly this would be done for the screen and graphics card upgrades... I've read about the increasing reliance of OSX on graphics memory...

    anyone any comments?
  2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040


    Mar 15, 2005
    I'm going to pick up the 17-inch because I already have a 20-inch cinema display I plan to attach to it.

    However, if I didn't have the cinema display, I would most certainly choose the 20-inch iMac. To me, the screen resolution on the 20-inch displays is about the minimum I want to use, for a daily machine.

    With regards to graphics memory, I think you'll be fine with the stock 128 or the upgrade to 256. Don't worry about that decision too much, particularly if you don't game. You mention OS X performance, so that is why I'm saying it isn't going to be something you likely notice unless doing the most extreme video work.
  3. joseph2166 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 11, 2006
    should mention although I'm not buying an iMac primarily for games it would be nice once in a while!

Share This Page