Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Intel yesterday introduced at its Intel Developer Forum its new line of quad-core Core i7 processors, previously code-named "Clarksfield", for mobile computers. The two processors, manufactured using quad-core dies based on Intel's 45 nm Nehalem microarchitecture, take advantage of Intel's Turbo Boost technology to run at baseline frequencies of 1.6 GHz and 1.73 GHz with the ability ramp to 2.8 GHz and 3.06 GHz respectively when conditions warrant. An "Extreme Edition" processor running at 2.0 GHz and capable of ramping to 3.20 GHz was also released.
Intel Corporation introduced its revolutionary Intel Core i7 Mobile Processor and Intel Core i7 Mobile Processor Extreme Edition today, bringing Intel's award-winning and super-fast Nehalem microarchitecture to the mobile market.

These processors in addition to the new Intel PM55 Express Chipset, provide the best laptop experience for intense gaming, digital media, photos, music, business applications and other multi-threaded software that hungers for faster processing speed. The chips also boost overall performance when using several of these applications simultaneously.
Apple may be more likely, however, to wait until the release of the 32 nm die shrink of the Nehalem microarchitecture, scheduled to appear as the dual-core "Arrandale" processors early next year, to revamp its MacBook Pro line. Arrandale, which was also briefly previewed at the Intel Developer Forum, should offer considerably lower power consumption than Clarksfield processors and better fit into Apple's design constraints for its notebook computers.

Article Link: Intel Introduces Core i7 Quad-Core Mobile Processors

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
It's about time Intel got these out of the way, they need to get busy on Arrandale so that I can buy a new Macbook.

Oh and i'll be expecting USB 3.0 also.

Comment

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
i had been holding out for a Clarksfield-powered iMac to replace my G5, but it died earlier this year and I got the currently shipping model. Think Clarksfield will ever make it to the iMac, or does it run too hot, and the iMac will have to wait for Arrandale like the MacBook Pros?

Comment

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

With GCD these processors will be great. Can't wait.

Comment

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
i had been holding out for a Clarksfield-powered iMac to replace my G5, but it died earlier this year and I got the currently shipping model. Think Clarksfield will ever make it to the iMac, or does it run too hot, and the iMac will have to wait for Arrandale like the MacBook Pros?

Looking at the recent iMac releases... April 2008, March 2009.... I'm thinking the timing is looking good for an Arrandale refresh in Q1 2010.

Comment

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
Have they already released the i7 for desktops? It would be really nice to have one in an iMac!!

Comment

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Looking at the baseline speeds, 2.0 GHz as the fastest, I know some people will wonder why they should get MBPs with these (if they come) when their old MBPs had a higher speed (my current MBP has a 2.5 GHz CPU). However, going from 2 cores -> 4 cores, that should make up for it, especially w/ apps that use Grand Central/OpenCL.

Comment

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
I doubt we'll see these in the iMac's. One would think that one of the reasons why we see mobile chips in the iMac line is not only for engineering sake, but for economic reasons as well. Apple probably gets a bigger discount for buying 2 million of the same processor than buying 1 million of version "A" and 1 million of verion "B"

Comment

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

Have they already released the i7 for desktops? It would be really nice to have one in an iMac!!

Not sure about the mobile versions in the iMac. If it's too hot for an iMac, it'll be even more so in a MBP. Would be nice to have the desktop version of this in an iMac, since it IS a desktop computer!

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
There's a chance to see it in the iMac. I still don't think it'll ever see the light of day in an Apple computer though.

Comment

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
I do wonder; however, if the Turbo Boost is a hardware thing, or does the OS need to recognize it? In other-words, will turbo boost work as intended for OS X?

Comment

Dwalls90

Contributor
Feb 5, 2009
iMac? Probably.

Macbook/MBP? Seriously doubt it .. it's much more draining than Peryn, and would go against Apple's latest campaign of being the greenest notebooks with long battery lives. I sure would pick one up though ..

Comment

sschwar4

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Looking at the baseline speeds, 2.0 GHz as the fastest, I know some people will wonder why they should get MBPs with these (if they come) when their old MBPs had a higher speed (my current MBP has a 2.5 GHz CPU). However, going from 2 cores -> 4 cores, that should make up for it, especially w/ apps that use Grand Central/OpenCL.

Did you read the part about turbo...
Turbo Boost technology to run at baseline frequencies of 1.6 GHz and 1.73 GHz with the ability ramp to 2.8 GHz and 3.06 GHz respectively when conditions warrant. An "Extreme Edition" processor running at 2.0 GHz and capable of ramping to 3.20 GHz.

Comment

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Timing for rumored iMac/Macbook event

Does anybody think that the mobile Core i7 launch makes the rumor of an iMac and MacBook refresh "within weeks" more credible?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.