Intel Iris Pro vs 750m Battery Difference...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Godavid, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Godavid macrumors newbie

I was curious to know the following.

Considering that 750m is FORCED whenever you use anything lightly as MIT's Scratch... is the battery life going to be any different with the Intel Iris Pro?

Same thing with External Monitors...

Now I know it all depends on what you personally do... but considering that most bench tests say that iris pro is only about 10-15% slower... I am curious to know if the battery difference is a HUGE factor.

Thanks

2. c1phr macrumors 6502

I can't speak to its battery drain under load, but it seems to do alright when relatively idle. I can plug into an external display and work on some programming project and get decent battery life. You really need a reference frame, though: it's much shorter than using the Iris Pro (6hrs down from 10?), but still longer than my old MBP could do on its integrated GPU.

That said, I've had decent luck taming the dGPU with gfxCardStatus with applications that like to run rampant with it for no good reason.

3. Godavid thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, so you have a 750m?

And gfxcardstatus sometimes doesn't work on simple applications. It keeps it on 750m and thus using up battery.

4. c1phr macrumors 6502

Yes sorry, I assumed my signature would reflect that, but it looks like it didn't appear in my other post (probably my mistake).

The only caveat with getting gfxCardStatus to work with simple applications is that you need to have it set to integrated only before starting them. Like I said, still not a catch all, but it works for most things. If I have a simple application that tries to force my dGPU and I can't control it, then I try to find an alternative that's better written. In many applications (like Scratch, I assume), they force the dGPU and never really need it. Those generally aren't workloads that the Iris Pro can't handle, the operating system is just tricked into thinking that you need the additional power.

In my usual mobile workload, I pretty much never have the 750m turn on, and I can get fantastic battery life with this machine. In the odd case where it does come on but I'm not pushing for the power (effectively leaving the 750m close to idle), the battery hit is definitely there, and it can range anywhere from 2-4 hours off what I have left, depending on how much I'm actually using it.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Then you probably don't know about the bug in gfxcardstatus.

You need to do it this way:
    1. After login, set to integrated.
    2. Set to integrated again, because the first time you do it still leaves it at dynamic switching. Doing this a second time truly forces it into integrated.