Intel Launches Penryn Mobile Processors

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

At the Consumer Electronics Show 2008, Intel introduced 16 new Penryn processors, including the first 45nm mobile processors. Amongst the 16 new processors, five are new mobile processors, three quad core and four dual core desktop processors, and four server processors.

The new mobile Penryn procesors feature a 45-nm architecture, ranging from 2.1 to 2.8GHz (previously detailed). Increased L2 cache (up to 6MB), and the new SSE4 instruction set can provide a significant boost in performance if supported:
"If you look at raw power from Merom to Penryn, the performance gain isn't going to be huge," says Intel spokesperson Connie Brown. "If it's something that relies on SSE4 instruction set, it's in the double digits."
The first of the Penryn-based processors should start appearing in notebooks as early as next week. Apple will be holding their Keynote speech at Macworld Expo 2008 on January 15th. Apple is widely expected to introduce a new thin-notebook and may also update their MacBook Pro line which is due for revision.

Article Link

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Guess we know what will be powering the new MacSubBook and any MacBook (Pro) updates announced at MacWorld. ;)
Glad to see there are no surprises with the Intel transition, 1 nail in the Apple secrecy coffin. ;)

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I want one already.

Of course, Apple never updates the whole lineup at once. We can probably expect the Mac Pro to get these, but I doubt an ultrathin MacBook will get it before the MacBook Pro. Then again, perhaps the MBP will get an update?

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
So hopefully we'll be getting new MBP's with Penryn and a 10.5 update which implements SSE4 for both MBP and Mac Pro's. :)

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Washington, DC
So is the new SSE4 going to be as powerful as AltiVec used to be?
Considering we've already made up for the "loss" of Altivec with overall faster chips in real-world performance for tasks both strenuous and non, I'd say it doesn't really matter. :rolleyes:

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
So I'm pretty sure now we'll see new MBP's next week with this new processor. The MB's and ultrathin MB will probably continue to use the older chipset.

Excited for next week!

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
This is great news and all, but it took Apple around a month to release SR MBPs from when the technology was released by intel. Is it really feasible to see this being announced, nevermind shipping, in a week?

Just throwing that out there. I'm waiting until Montevina anyway.

-Ado

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
What about the iMacs? They use the same processors as the MBPs... so when will we see an updated iMac? It has been 155 days since the last update.

Do you think we will see it soon, as in a week or two after Macworld? Or when?

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
We can probably expect the Mac Pro to get these, but I doubt an ultrathin MacBook will get it before the MacBook Pro. Then again, perhaps the MBP will get an update?
Actually, I think Penryn's die shrink and lower power consumption are a lock for any smaller MacBook/Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.