Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absurdio

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
RI, Chi, and/or NY.
silence said:
Sorry to deflect away from the argurement here.. but i just have one question for you all.

When these great new chips are released, will I have the option of upgrading my MBP Core Duo with the new processor? (At a realistic price)

I've heard a few rumours that the current processors are soldered on so they cannot be replaced..

Please explain.. :eek:

No, I'm pretty sure you won't have that option. In the Mac Mini, the processor is socketed (i.e. removable/replaceable). In the portables, however, the processors are soldered in place (rather than socketed) because of space considerations. So, no, to the best of my understanding, it's not possible to upgrade the processors in the portables.

octoberdeath

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
do you think that the new Macbook Pros will have a quad processor in it? i heard it was going to be crazy like that.

DavidCar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
octoberdeath said:
do you think that the new Macbook Pros will have a quad processor in it? i heard it was going to be crazy like that.
I don't think there are solid reports that the Merom chips designed for portables will go quad core, probably because of power requirements. I could be wrong. We already know the quad Woodcrests will be called Clovertowns, and the quad Conroes will be called Kentsfields.

kansasken

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2006
kansas
Why?

I am just curious why so much that is on the horizon is always so far superior to now. Why is Merom so spectacular when it probably is only slightly noticably a difference. I reallly agree with the i got several months of use out of yonah and merom isnt in a macbook pro yet way of thinking. A summer shot to @##@ waiting for the latest greatest. The graphics card wont be better most likely. As for the waiting game, that mind boggling miracle may never come. Kansasken.

retroz311

macrumors member
May 10, 2006
absurdio said:
No, I'm pretty sure you won't have that option. In the Mac Mini, the processor is socketed (i.e. removable/replaceable). In the portables, however, the processors are soldered in place (rather than socketed) because of space considerations. So, no, to the best of my understanding, it's not possible to upgrade the processors in the portables.

I was about to ask the same thing. Has anyone asked, looked into the Macbook?

Certainly, if you can solder, well, there is always the possibility of replacing it at your own risk, but I would think one would do that only if it offered at least a 40-60% gain in performance (for audio (VST/RTAS plugins)) and video users.

Is it any wonder Avid bought M-Audio? They know (warning OFF TOPIC HERE), native power will and is surpassing their hardware based systems.

Shoot, even some of the best plug-in makers out there are developing and have developed ethernet and firewire plug-in units, taking even more load off the CPU.

Amazing stuff!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.